One of the questions that sports fans love to debate is who is the greatest in a certain league, at a certain position, or of a certain era. CFL fans are no different, as the age range and breadth of knowledge will lead to many different answers, with no one being able to provide a definitive one. But that is the fun of sports; debate and the friendly back-and-forth can lead to some interesting, and enlightening, discussions.
So with that said, it is time to answer once and for all just who is the greatest player in CFL history. There have been many great players, but one stands above them all:
Compared to some of the other greats, Flutie’s time in the CFL was short. He played just eight seasons in the CFL, two with the BC Lions, four with the Calgary Stampeders and two with the Toronto Argonauts. But in those eight years, Flutie compiled a list of accomplishments that are unmatched:
- three Grey Cup wins in four appearances
- three Grey Cup MVPs
- six MOP awards
- six CFL all-star selections
- CFL, and pro football, record with 6,619 yards passing in a single season
- only player in pro football history with two 6,000+ yard passing seasons
- CFL record 48 touchdown passes in a single season
The résumé speaks for itself, but it is not just the numbers that put Flutie above the rest. Every time he stepped on the field, he was the best player on it. Following his stint in BC, every one of Flutie’s teams finished first in their division, going 15-3 in all but one season.
And let’s not forget that old Flutie magic.
The numbers are there, the championships are there, the individual awards are there, the wins are there. When you add it all up, the conclusion is simple: Doug Flutie is the greatest player to ever play in the CFL.
So what say you? Do you agree that Flutie is the greatest ever? Is it someone else? Hit up the comment section below and let’s get the conversation started.
Latest posts by Josh Smith (see all)
- Kevin Glenn’s nine-team odyssey an ‘only-in-the-CFL’ tale - January 20, 2018
- Manziel fatigue shows the downside of making neg lists public - January 14, 2018
- Podskee Wee Wee, Episode 99 - January 8, 2018