Stamps hope lesson is finally learned after Finch suspension

The impact on the field might be minimal, but the damage done to the Calgary Stampeders is a bit disturbing.

Running back Roy Finch was handed a two-game suspension from the CFL on Monday for violating the substance abuse policy. The second-year back, who doubles as the return specialist, isn’t the type of player you would associate with using a performance-enhancing substance seeing as how he’s all of 5-foot-7 and 171 pounds.

He was caught using D-amphetamine, something he says is taken to treat attention-deficit disorder. Finch could have received a therapeutic-use exemption if he applied for it, but he failed to do that, and now he’s going to miss the next two weeks of game action. It will be up to the team whether he participates in meetings or practices.

While a mistake, it’s not acceptable for a professional athlete not to know what he was taking and whether it was legal within the rules of the substance abuse policy, especially considering that the Stamps went through a drug suspension just a year ago, one that Finch would have witnessed firsthand.

Defensive tackle Quinn Smith served a three-game suspension — a tougher penalty because of a previous violation in university — and that should have shaken awake the entire organization to be on high alert over what the players were taking.

Finch, to his credit, is fully taking the heat on this one.

“I made a mistake and I accept full responsibility,” he said in a team issued statement. “I want to make it clear that there was absolutely no intent on my part to cheat as I was taking the medication to treat attention-deficit disorder. At the same time, I know that I’m responsible for what goes into my body and I should have asked more questions. I apologize to the fans, the coaches and my teammates for the embarrassment I have caused.”

The Stamps brass has every right to be perturbed about the situation. If it’s simple paperwork for Finch to legally take this drug for his condition, he should have done that and should be fully aware of what the consequences are if he took it illegally.

“The Calgary Stampeders were very disappointed to learn about Roy’s violation of the policy on drugs,” Stamps GM John Hufnagel said in a team released statement. “We understand the medication taken by Roy was to treat a legitimate medical condition however, by failing to follow procedure and obtain a therapeutic-use exception, Roy is subject to this penalty. While I believe this was an honest mistake on Roy’s part, it was a mistake nevertheless and it’s important that he and all players learn from this episode.”

Maybe this latest episode will finally be an eye-opener for the players about what they can use legally and what is banned.

We don’t know for sure if Finch made a legitimate mistake or was trying to get away with something, which is why there is zero tolerance with the policy.

If Finch gets busted again, he would face a nine-game suspension, with a year ban for a third offence and lifetime for a fourth. Smith might face harsher punishments if he were to get caught again.

The team itself might need to crack down harder if the players don’t get the message.

As for on the field, the Stamps will get a chance to see a young player in Finch’s spot for two weeks. Either Marken Michel or Terry Williams will get an opportunity to play — and earn a paycheque — with Finch gone, and this will be a golden chance for them to make an impression when none was forthcoming.

After a stellar first year, Finch was impressive in pre-season, taking back a punt for a touchdown in the second game when more of the Stamps veterans were playing, and he won his job back.

Now he will have to hope the Stamps don’t hand out additional punishment or that one of the newcomers doesn’t take over and force himself onto the roster.

Ian Busby

Ian Busby

Ian Busby has covered the Stampeders and the CFL since 2003, with eight years as a beat reporter. He is now a producer at Breakfast Television.
Ian Busby
Ian Busby
About Ian Busby (175 Articles)

52 Comments on Stamps hope lesson is finally learned after Finch suspension

1. Waiting on stampland and mrincognito.

• BC Dave // June 26, 2017 at 2:48 pm //

You’re right, and to be honest, that was my first thought too…This outta be good.
      That is a sad reality though that we let him have that power. He screwed up (whether in taking it or not getting the paperwork done), the league has doled out punishment and hopefully we can ignore anything he spews out to try and justify it

2. Judge Jones // June 26, 2017 at 2:26 pm //

Can’t be too serious is he could have gotten an exemption. Besides, the side effects include pain to just about every part of your body but no enhancement.
    Still… he probably knew better.

3. horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm //

Like I say an error was made and the price will be paid by both the Stamps and Finch. The sad truth is the Stamps replacement the next 2 games could be so good he may not be able to get back in the lineup.

• truenorthern // June 26, 2017 at 3:01 pm //

Be honest horsie*ss , if this was a Rider player you would be calling for the GM and Head Coach to be suspended, fined, and fired.

• horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 4:15 pm //

Only if he had a history of probelems prior to him being signed originally

• George Porge // June 26, 2017 at 7:46 pm //

You mean, like Quinn Smith?

• Horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 9:11 pm //

name another

• George Porge // June 27, 2017 at 1:43 pm //

How many examples do you need to prove that you’re wearing rose coloured glasses when it comes to your team, horsieland? Quinn Smith was caught using PEDs in University – so yes, he has a known history of problems prior to his signing. I’m a Stamps fan, and even I’m not sure he should still be in the league (if he wasn’t so talented and versatile, I’m sure he wouldn’t be). Hopefully he learned his lesson, but if he hasn’t, Huff better be showing him the door.

• Its ok horsieland…..keep on being you and don’t let facts get in your way.

4. So did he buy them from Tommie Campbell? Either way sounds like the Stumps have developed a drug problem and they should be kicked out of the league. Well that’s not really how I feel, but I was just imagining how a certain Stumps fan would react if this were a Rider story.

• horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 4:16 pm //

If the Stamps left the league there would be a hell lot of talent available in an expansion draft

• Horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 7:36 pm //

Stamps have a drug problem.

Interesting interpretation as this was probably a prescription he had

5. here are the stampeders with total disregard for the rules of the league. Classless organization

6. I have no comment on this story as I would not want to offend anyone or make them feel bullied in any way.

On a serious note….guy made a mistake. It could be a mistake or it could be on purpose. Only he truly knows but I would hardly crucify the guy if it was an honest mistake. If something else comes up in the future however….there will be no doubt.

7. Make no mistake about it though….if this was a Rider….well you know the rest.
    The lesson here is that being a fan of one team doesn’t mean you have to be a complete ass about other teams players. You’re welcome.

• Unfortunately that ass hasn’t commented yet and you know this won’t slow him in his pursuit to troll and trash the Riders. Horsieass who I think is the same guy but won’t step forward

• BC Dave // June 26, 2017 at 6:12 pm //

Agreed.

8. Ladd Law // June 26, 2017 at 3:33 pm //

Here is the perfect example of how Rider fans show class and rise above. Clearly not a good situation for the Stumps, but very few comments similar to those provided by Stump fans for similar situations across the league, especially in Riderville. Karma is a bitch and what goes around, comes around. Hoping that horsiegirl, et al can rise above their blind hatred or stupidity, which ever, and change their ways going forward. All teams have issues, none better or worse than others – so maybe going forward we park the hatred and stay focus on the play of the players.

• horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 4:23 pm //

You call this comment class? You’ve insulted me and shamed the Stamps

• Geez Ladd Law….be careful how you talk to Horsieland. Wouldn’t want to be responsible for hurting his feelings would you?

9. horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 4:22 pm //

This is story if an individual person making a bad choice. Him and the Stamps are being rightfully punished. If he does it again he should be banished.
    Who was the rider before Cox who was in trouble this off season? Go read the comments. I even said the riders shouldn’t be held responsible

10. Horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 4:56 pm //

I’m confused. On the one hand I’m concerned about this story but also flattered so many people are requesting my comments. Am I what you call an internet star??

• No you are more like Donald Trump. We look forward to seeing how much crap and lack of any football knowledge or insight you will spew out of your mouth on a daily basis.

• Ladd Law // June 26, 2017 at 5:39 pm //

Internet Troll . . . the word you are looking for is Troll.

• BC Dave // June 26, 2017 at 6:15 pm //

Your comments are inevitable. Please do not mistake that for requested.

11. Man this level of comments is hard to read. Let’s get back to football so the rest of us can enjoy reading the comments.

• Amen to that Jim! Sometimes the comments become insult slinging contests that have nothing to do with the story!

Unfortunately for Finch and the Stamps, he made a mistake – or didn’t inform himself well enough about drugs on the list that are banned substances. He needs to learn from his experience – as does any other player who’s had a suspension. Hopefully more players will better educate themselves about the banned substances to avoid making the same mistake which is costly both to them and their reputation and to their team.

• Horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 7:49 pm //

agreed Jim. I’d like nothing more

12. BC Dave // June 26, 2017 at 6:18 pm //

You are right Jim. So, who is next man up returning kicks for stamps.

13. Horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 7:57 pm //

Either import running back Terry Williams who has been on the practice roster or draft pick Tunde Adeleke, this guy could be the steel of the draft. Both played well in preseason.

14. ibleedgreen1111 // June 26, 2017 at 7:59 pm //

GASP! Oh my god! Say it isn’t so. A Stamp player cheating. How come Bo didn’t tweet about this. He knows about everything that is happening in the CFL. Happening right under his nose. Lot all my faith in him

• Horsieland // June 26, 2017 at 8:01 pm //

Bo’s got his hand full keeping rider nation in line.
      FYI don’t worry. Finch will be back in plenty of time for the rider game July 22.

15. Maybe Tommie can lend him his Stamps bag for carrying his sh*t in case Finch doesn’t have one.

• Philski // June 27, 2017 at 6:48 am //

Ha, ha! So right my Raptor friend. Hey, Mr. E, or whoever the hell you are, did you ever do your homework and figure out WHY the charges on druggie Tommie were dropped?

• Horsieland // June 27, 2017 at 11:31 am //

YES! Turns out he was framed…. by a chubby stringy haired individual Chris Jones! lol (JJ)

• Philski // June 28, 2017 at 4:16 am //

Don’t know why you think I’m a Rider fan – I’m not! So I personally don’t give a rats as* about Chris Jones.

16. Horsiesauce // June 26, 2017 at 8:42 pm //

Horsie. You actually make some informed comments. However, you are so myopic. You have a blind spot, my friend. I think people like you are important for stirring the pot and keeping rivalries alive. However, I also think you could contribute to some excellent football discussions if you had some humility and some balance. There is hardly a trainer or coach in this league (let alone teammates) who can’t spot doping. It happens on every team and there is a culture of silence on the subject. Don’t be a hypocrite. Don’t morally equivocate. Heighten your game and be a great contributor to this site. You have good fundamental knowledge and I enjoy your contributions (when they are balanced). Think of this as coaching:)

17. Each team should have a LIST POSTED of illegal substances that could get a player in trouble. Once they see this if they violate the drugs listed it is ALL on the player. Really not a big deal. This happens constantly in the NFL with some players suspended for a entire year or longer just say Josh Gordon of the Browns.

• BleedzGreen // June 27, 2017 at 8:51 pm //

I’d be surprised if the CFL and/or CFLPA hasn’t already posted such a list – Extremely surprised.

18. Antlerman // June 27, 2017 at 1:37 am //

Stupid if its a medication he needs to function give him warning not a suspension

19. George Porge // June 27, 2017 at 1:45 pm //

“Running back Roy Finch was handed a two-game suspension from the CFL on Monday for failing to file some paperwork.”

There. Fixed it for you.

20. robservation // June 27, 2017 at 2:23 pm //

It’s almost a non-story.This is a dumb mistake made by a young man. A lesson he will learn and go from here. The kid has a legit medical condition, so let’s not judge to harshly.
    And yes, I am a Rider fan.

• BC Dave // June 28, 2017 at 1:07 am //

Don’t think many, if any, are judging him for ‘drugs’ but for hurting his team for something as simple as nit filing paperwork. Antlerman said it’s stupid if it’s medication, but we don’t KNOW that until he does file the paperwork. Not saying I don’t believe it but he needs to make if official. It was a stupid mistake that cost his team.

21. BleedzGreen // June 27, 2017 at 6:01 pm //

Mistake my ass. Google D-Amphetamine. Yes Dextroamphetamine is used to treat ADHD, but it’s also a commonly known PED – Even the military uses it.

Guess his prescribing doctor had no idea he’s a professional football player, and subject to random drug screening. Give me a break.

• Exactly. Take some ownership. D-amphetamine is one of world’s most trafficked and smuggled drugs. Accident…..not likely.

22. mrincomprehensible // June 27, 2017 at 11:53 pm //

If the team doctors do not already have full access to all medication given to their own teams players they certainly should have. This would place full blame on the player and there would be no excuses to be made.
    I wouldn’t say this about any other team but, this sure looks good on Calgary!! They are so holier than thou. (I hope that’s not too archaic for you horsie)

23. What a crock. It’s OK to shoot up H Burris in last years Grey Cup(its only one example) so he can come out and win MVP but not ok for weed and other drugs. Players come out of the dressing room shot up on a regular basis. You see a guy limp off and then Its a medical miracle, he returns to star in the game
    Total hypocritical BS.