Riders sign former Ticat Marcus Thigpen

Saskatchewan signed returner and returner Marcus Thigpen on Tuesday.

The dynamic playmaker played in 54 CFL games – one with the Riders back in 2009 – mostly over three seasons in Hamilton. He returned 86 kick-offs for 1,643 yards and one touchdown, 116 punts for 1,063 yards and one touchdown and 11 missed field goals for 544 yards and three majors – 118 yards the longest. Thigpen can make an impact on offence too. The 31-year-old has 48 receptions for 616 yards and three touchdowns to go along with 52 rushes for 313 yards and three more scores.

NFL teams took notice and Thigpen signed with the Dolphins, where he played two seasons, and he played for the Bucs, Bills and Raiders too. Over 50 games in the NFL, the Indiana University product had 2,525 kick return yards on 107 attempts and one touchdown, 919 punt return yards on 95 tries and two touchdowns. And added eight rushes for 25 yards on offence and nine receptions for 112 yards and one touchdown.

Thigpen has been out of pro football since Buffalo released him in December 2015.

46 Comments on Riders sign former Ticat Marcus Thigpen

1. white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 4:44 pm //

Attention: please keep your hands safely at your sides as you enter and exit the revolving door.
    Why? An old who ain’t played in 2 years. Isnt this what your paying owens $150,000 for??? Is he still on IR?

• Peter North // September 13, 2017 at 10:38 am //

You have lots of salt towards articles relating to the Riders. Did they do something to you when you were young? Haha.

Get off that Commodore 64 and get out of mom and dads basement a little more often and enjoy the picturesque mountains that Alberta has to offer.

• Attention: please keep your hands away from the keyboard and refrain from bashing everything Riders.

Thanks in advance horse. Bye for now….

2. Yeah, the Owens signing was puzzling and frustrating as we paid waaay too much money for an over-the-hill, injury-prone player. This signing isn’t much better as Thigpen is 31 and has been out of football for a couple of seasons. Carter returning kicks didn’t work out and affected his offensive play so this signing makes sense in that regard and if CO2 isn’t ready to play. I would’ve cut Owens at least a game ago before his veteran contract was guaranteed…just another example of Jones’ loyalty to his players.

• white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 4:57 pm //

Lol. So Jones is so loyal he’ll just harbor his friends under the riders payroll so they can earn a pay cheque and make a living!!!! That would truly be ridiculous

3. Inbred Stallion, no one is paying Owens $150k, and clearly you’re incapable of understanding that signing someone doesn’t necessarily mean that you aren’t able to cut them just as easily if they don’t work out.

I’m certain Thigpen got very little guaranteed money, if any, and is well worth taking a look at giving his speed. CJ is trying to build a team and that means looking under every rock. Yes your Stumps may not have to do so, but they also have had Hufnagel running their program for a dozen-plus years.

On a personal note, you really act like a piece of human excrement. You do realize that you personally have zero to do with the success of the Calgary team in its history, yet you act like you’re superior to everyone else on this board because your daddy humped his sister who unfortunately pooped you out in Southern Alberta, and that football team has been successful. I assure you, considering 98.3% of the people on this board think you’re a tool larger than the one your Aunt Mom puts in her hoo-ha, if the Stamps can claim anything because of you, it’s the fact that they have terrible fans.

• Hahaha…best post that I’ve read in quite some time. Well done!

• CFLs Best since 1990 // September 13, 2017 at 3:21 am //

If by “best” you mean playground insults that have absolutely zero sensible input… then, sure. Okay, if you say so.

For me it just sounds like a bully who couldn’t be bothered to have an original thought.

• I tend to disagree… I thought it was hilarious! lochtess hardly ever comments, usually when they do.. Its a valid CFL comment. It’s just another person getting sick of reading horsie’s crap comments. Low and behold its a Rider story and he commented! Isn’t that crazy!?

• white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 5:24 pm //

So I as a fan have nothing to do with stamps success? This from the fan base that purrs when you bring up “home of the 13th man” and tell us they make a difference????
      Thigpen does fill a role and I’m sure he is cheap. Now you no longer have to have Carter returning kicks. He can concentrate on receiving and playing corner. I remember my high school team used to have the best player play all three ways too!!

• You are correct. The amount of times a CFL fan will impact a game are negligible if the teams aren’t comparable. Now if two teams are equal in ability and the fans can make it harder for a team to hear their calls, that helps but in no way is a game won or lost.

Now, as you’re implying, do the Riders claim to have the best fans in the league, hell yes. Are we more knowledgeable than any other team…no. But we have more fans come out when we’re bad than all but 4 other teams have when they’re good.

If your hockey team ever put it together and the Stamps were struggling on the field, they’d need to collect all the chuckwagons from the Stampede to gather everyone.

• white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 5:44 pm //

Calgary has a consistent crowd at 27000. Your attedance will fluctuate from game to game depending on win vs lose..in Calgary there were barely 30,000 at last rider game. If you keep winning they will be a sell out on Oct 20… it’s a big bandwagon…..fyi only game you sold out last year was the farewell game. This year you have a novel stadium
          As much as you brag about the 13th man. Winnipeg claimed that crown last week..sorry.

• Only thing sorry on here horse is you !

• Pretty sure for a losing season we didn’t dip below 30k. Keep in mind that’s two losing season in a row. And you are proud of have 27k with a constant winner? Something doesn’t quite add up to me. Just saying

• Canada is CFL // September 13, 2017 at 8:21 pm //

Sorry Horsie but the Stamps have been struggling again this year barely making 26000 except when the Riders and Eskimos came. Check your facts and stop annoying us.

• lochtess – Very intelligent & well thought out rebuttals to posts by little horsie with a littler brain. There’s so many things wrong with horsie’s mentality always obsessing about the Riders, etc.

I am afraid horsie’s beyond repair. I am considering following him to other forums and posting the same kind of bulls**t he’s been posting on Rider forums.

Let’s hear it for “lochtess” one more time. “”Great Posts””!!

• Savage

• Mic drop…………well done locktess. Unfortunately it has already gone waaaay over his head. El caballo no entiende

• Well Said!!!!

• Yes he is a piece of Crap and were all.tired of his bs and cant read anybody elses thought about the Cfl. Without having to read his constant jabber

• CFLs Best since 1990 // September 13, 2017 at 3:33 am //

Inbreeding? Excrement? Humping? Pooping babies? Vibrators? Aunt Mom and her hoo-ha? This all – naturally – leads us to the conclusion that the Stamps have terrible fans.

Pure genius, eh? Yeah, you keep on thinking so. Were you looking in a mirror as you wrote this incomprehensible trash? To me, your expertise on these matters unquestionably suggests inside knowledge.

You are a complete and utter dolt whose intelligence could be measured with an eye dropper. Ignoramus. A blight on humanity. Congratulations.

Hey… how does it feel? Are you all warm and fuzzy inside now?

4. white stallion in red do us a favour and find something else to do..LOL

5. Eddiefelson // September 12, 2017 at 5:04 pm //

Where are they getting all the cash for these guys? They must have double the budget

• They sign them on “prove-it” contracts where the player either does and they cut someone who isn’t doing their job making the same cash, or they cut them and are out a couple weeks of moderate salary. Thigpen is not getting NFL money or the money he left to go play in the South.

6. I hear Devin Hester or Deion Sanders may be available. You would think with all of the scouting they say they do, they would be able to come up with a new returner, rather then a guy who has not played in 2 years. How long till Vince Young is asked to come back?

7. I am sure other teams are making moves too and signing players, why the Riders are the only ones being reported on is obvious . . they are in the hearts and minds of all 3D nation readers and will always draw the most attention. Understandable really, being Canada’s Team and all.

• white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 7:47 pm //

No its because they are such bug names. With is all The Hollywood Roughriders do any more

• Wow. That really cuts deep.

“Mommy, some dipshit who has a hard on for Chris Jones called a football team that I watch the Hollywood Riders.”

I really don’t believe in trolling, but I do believe in calling a spade a spade, and Horsie is an idiot. It’s sad that your life is so empty that a football team a province away eats up so much of your limited brain power.

I’d make a wish for you to meet someone you’re attracted to but you’re not really Chris Jones type.

• white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 8:46 pm //

Canada’s shame more like it

8. When can Owens play? Not sure Thigpen isn’t out of football for reasons of declining skills and impact and 2015 to today in football years can be a life time. On the positive side, this can light a fire under existing players.

9. not picking on the Riders for free agent signings but I am curious of the cap? I know my Ticats have a lot of room left because of injuries but I’d be curious to see how Jones is managing his cap space. I do want to see the Riders take Calgary so I’m all for this as long as they lose to my Cats this week. LOL!

• Dennis the Menace // September 13, 2017 at 12:38 am //

I don’t think the Riders are going to lose to Hamilton this weekend. The Riders are just starting to get their feet under themselves. We won 3 in a row and then lost one and there’s lots of reasons to expect the Riders to win big in Hamilton.

10. Big talent. Didn’t realize he sat out last year

11. I always liked Marcus Thigpen. Solid player.

12. Interested to see what he’s got left. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chad Owens miraculously heals or gets cut.

13. Get Thiggy with it.

I don’t know what he’s got left in the tank, but he was an amazingly talented player when he got his chance with the Ticats (only player in history to score a touchdown 5 different ways during one season: run, catch, PR, KR, and missed FG return… I believe that still stands?)

• msd – I remember dreading watching Thigpen tear through our team & other CFL teams on Special Teams & on offence.

Great acquisition that I hope makes the team. I think a decision will be made regarding CO2 within the next couple of games. It would be nice if we could keep them both and they were both on the field playing.

14. * that was CFL history, not sure about NFL or college

15. CFLs Best since 1990 // September 13, 2017 at 3:54 am //

I’m obviously a bit late to this party (website). Horsie, it seems you’ve created quite the s-storm here. I can hardly read this… children, one after the other, taking childish potshots at you drivel.

I’m looking for intelligent discussion of the CFL, a game I’ve loved since I was a kid. I’ve seen some of that here, but it keeps digressing back to that playground, and barely any of it includes objective discussion of the CFL. Annoying as all f. And don’t worry, none of you DB’s (you know who you are) have to tell me where to go; if this keeps up, I’ll move along without anybody having to say a thing. Have a nice day, and try to learn something this time. Do it again tomorrow, and you’ll double your knowledge. Keep it up and soon you’ll be having original ideas. But please don’t just take my word for it… who knows, the fate of the world may depend upon it (maybe you’ve heard of the weakest link in the fence theory?).

• Lmao!! Really CFL’s best!? You are going to call horsie’s constant hate filled comments intelligent discussion? You’re a idiot just like him if that’s what you are thinking. There is nothing intelligent that comes out of that losers mouth(or should I say his fingers).

I’ve thrown facts at him, you want to know what his comebacks are when he doesn’t like the response? Nothing.. or Have a nice day or Save me a seat me. Really?
      To all the people defending him, you must be Stampeder fans. Because most of the other teams fans can’t stand him either. That day while he was in time out, was probably the civil this site has ever been. No one bantered at each other. There was finally respect on the forums. Since he’s been back.. you guessed it. Hate filled ramblings and bickering between fans now. CFLs best… Maybe its time for you to look in to the mirror. You haven’t added anything valuable to this site, only defending a troll. From what I can see anyways. Nice try on trying to be the “bigger” man. Because you are no different than the rest of us. 😉

16. Interesting that Marcus has been available for sometime and Hamilton did not bring him in for at least a look see. Unless, he was still looking for a NFL opportunity.

Good luck, Marcus.

17. Yup…this series of posts sounds like Congress in the US of A. Lots of rhetoric and name calling. Not much content. Flail away, my pretties!

18. Do all the degrading insults to horsie really make all you people feel superior? If he makes what you feel is a goofy statement, how about using some facts to disprove them. I check out this site for intelligent debate and discussion, not vulgar insults. A lot of you must have been play ground bullies.

19. I’d like to point out to a couple fans on here talking about cap room. Chris Jones has 4 QBs under contract. All of which add up to what Hamilton is paying Collaros or the EE are paying Reilly or Toronto is paying Ricky. All of the Vets on the Oline have taken pay cuts since Chris Jones and company have taken over.
    Do I agree with everything that Chris Jones has done… No I don’t. Nor do I think there is a Rider fan that agrees 100% with Chris Jones either. However the one thing he has certainly done is get a grip on the Cap that Taman had made a mess of. When Jones released some really good fan favourites. It was then I realized that Jones was going to get things financially secured in a hurry. Dressler, Chick, Getzlaf and Durant combined for 1.2 Million dollars. So that was a quarter of the cap of a 45 man roster blown on 4 players. Out of the 4 players gone. Only one is still a baller and that being Dressler. I wish he was still a Rider but I’m ok with how this football team is looking without Dress. Darian is proving in Montreal that his pay increase after the 2013 Grey Cup and his Labor Day rematch injury. That he is no where near the same QB and he is not worth the Money Kavis Reed is paying him. Little loan being guaranteed money.
    Thigpen ran well last night before he was replaced. Not sure if he was replaced because he was injured as I had the volume down. Especially at half time or at the end of the game. I can’t handle listening to Jauch, Stegal and Dunnigan.
    I do want to add that if Bridge is the Riders future QB then I think the Riders are in trouble. He’s ok as a back up but I don’t see starter potential there. With that being said… Please MacAdoo please stop pulling the QB that drove the field into the red zone. Unless your on the 1 yard line. That has been a failed experiment this year.
    Hamilton chose to play Massoli the slippery cooking oil QB. The Riders had no choice but to play Bridge and not risk Glen’s hand. Had Glen played, I see a score closer to the same as the 1st meeting of the year. Can’t wait for Glen to get back in there.