Ambrosie says not enough evidence to link concussions and CTE

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says there isn’t enough scientific evidence linking football head injuries to brain disease.

Ambrosie says he is “looking at all the evidence together and the answer is we don’t know” if there is a connection between concussions and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

The NFL has conceded there is a link, but the CFL has not followed suit.

Former CFL commissioner Jeffrey Orridge drew widespread criticism during last year’s Grey Cup when he denied the existence of a link.

The strongest scientific evidence says CTE can only be diagnosed by examining brains after death, although some researchers are experimenting with tests performed on the living.

Many scientists believe that repeated blows to the head increase risks for developing CTE, leading to progressive loss of normal brain matter and an abnormal buildup of a protein called tau. Combat veterans and athletes in rough contact sports like football and boxing are among those thought to be most at risk.

While he hasn’t seen enough evidence to be convinced that concussions can lead to CTE, Ambrosie says he is committed to making the game “better and safer for our players.”

Ambrosie made the comments at news conference today in advance of Sunday’s Grey Cup.

– CP

21 Comments on Ambrosie says not enough evidence to link concussions and CTE

1. BigRedMachine // November 24, 2017 at 11:27 am //

I think the league would be better off just saying that they cannot comment on the link between CTE and football while the matter is before the courts and that meanwhile they are researching and introducing ways to make the game safer.

2. Here’s how another journalist interpreted the Commissioner’s words about concussions;
    “Very quickly he got to the topic of concussions, saying that they are indeed injuries and are brain trauma. The Commissioner said the CFL is constantly looking for ways to treat and manage these injuries. “We are going to rely on science,” Ambrosie said. “But right now the science is very unclear. Inconclusive.” He noted that concussions aren’t confined to football; they span a variety of sports including diving, gymnastics, hockey and soccer for instance.” Strange that it’s way more positive than this sites.

3. Every job has it’s own risks if your concerned don’t play if you play accept the risks and get out there!

4. “The CFL is facing a $200-million class-action lawsuit over concussions and brain trauma.”

This isn’t Ambrosie talking …it’s the league’s lawyers….

5. And what’s your opinion about global warming?

6. Flutiegarcia // November 24, 2017 at 12:52 pm //

Did anyone hear the entire conference?
    Our commissioner said in exact terms that the Calgary Stampeders were the best franchise in the league decade after decade.

• Actually he said the team who’s had the most success the last decade plays in the worst stadium, terrible, just terrible.

• Flutiegarcia // November 24, 2017 at 1:19 pm //

actually ,,,,we said the last 2 decades Calgary has been the best….so you do admit he said that.
        Yes he did say McMahon was old BUT he also referenced a certain memory which confirms how historic it is

• Lancaster/Reed // November 24, 2017 at 2:22 pm //

I was mistaken donkey . It is you. How did “ stamps “ know it was you? Oh thats right. Because you are “ stamps “ also. How pathetic you are to create your own fanboy. Lmfao.
          You know, i will have to amend my analyisis of you. Its not just jelousy of rider nation that drives you to troll. Trolls also lack social skills, and i realzed that also fits you. I remember you saying you park pretty close to mcmahon and it only takes you 15 minutes to get to and from your car. Not “ us” just “you”. So you go to the games alone,and apparently you dont sit with friends since you leave right after the game and go home ( i now assume to go online and troll) . I go to the games with my friends, and then after the game we socialize for an hour or two. But you dont do that. Straight home, no socializing. Classic anti social troll behavior.

• Flutiegarcia // November 24, 2017 at 2:51 pm //

Lancaster Reed
            I’ve said it before I’ll say it again. Yes I’ve had different monikers over time BUT never more than 1 at a time. I’m not stamps.
            Actually, I’ve been going with the same 4 people for 25 years and have made other friendships over the years too. Yes I come on my own (in my Cadillac) as does my entire group as we all live in different areas. Also..From car to gate is about 7 minutes. From car to seat is 15 minutes. Afterwards at least 2 of us go to the same pizza place (it’s in varsity if you want to drop by next year).
            I have that same group coming here on Sunday-don’t know what you’ll do with no riders to watch- and BBQ AAA sirloin with baked potato, Cesar salad and garlic toast. I treat my friends well.

• Lancaster/Reed // November 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm //

Lets see now donkey. Cadillac, car to gate, car to seat, pizza place in varsity, bbq aaa sirloin, baked potato, ceasar salad, garlic toast. Okayyyyyy. You do know that one of the “ tells “ when someone is lying is they offer too much detail? Right? You didnt know that? Lol. Sad.

• Lancaster/Reed // November 24, 2017 at 5:48 pm //

Donkey you remind me of the john lovitz character from SNL. Yeah, i go to the game in my………Cadillac, yeah, thats it, thats the ticket. Lmfao.

• Flutiegarcia // November 24, 2017 at 6:05 pm //

Oh Lancaster! Believe what you wish. You will anyways and I could care less. Just giving this detail as you seem to think I’m some guy living in my Moms basement and I’m not! Just like you think I’m multiple “people” on here which I’m not. If you want to experience my game day experience you’re welcome anytime. Have you heard of Matador pizza in varsity?

• Lancaster/Reed // November 24, 2017 at 6:30 pm //

Different monikers. I’ll say. Youve been kicked off here how many weeks in a row? 4? 6 or 7 times in total this season?You think the rules dont apply to you. Complete narcissist behavior. ( narcissism being another trait of a internet troll. )

• Flutiegarcia // November 24, 2017 at 6:47 pm //

Ok Lancaster Reed. Whatever you say.
            Enjoy the weekend. Hopefully you find something to fill your empty, hate and jealously filled Grey Cup weekend. I recommend going to the mall and enjoying the beautiful Christmas decorations.
            Don’t worry, June will come again 🙂

• Lancaster/Reed // November 24, 2017 at 7:00 pm //

Donkey, if i was jealous of the stamps, i would make multiple negative comments on every single stamps article on 3down , kinda like a certain horse’s ass does to every rider article.

• Paul Bomber // November 24, 2017 at 1:08 pm //

Pretty interesting interpretation of the comments. Can’t wait to see Calgary choke on Sunday. Their fans have overtaken Sask fans on the “Annoying Meter”. My guess is Mitchell and/or Messum won’t finish the game. Toronto by 4.

• Flutiegarcia // November 24, 2017 at 1:21 pm //

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I’m curious why you think Messam or Mitchell won’t finish? There’s no history of that happening! Especially in a 4 point game you claim it will be

7. Paul Garner // November 24, 2017 at 1:04 pm //

And smoking doesn’t cause cancer