Ricky Ray ‘seriously thinking’ about retirement

Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray says he is “seriously thinking” about calling it a career.

The 38-year-old met with the media on Wednesday as the team cleaned out their lockers three days after winning the 2017 Grey Cup. After plenty of celebration, it sounds like the euphoria is starting to wear off for the veteran pivot.

“It’s been an awesome few days but it’s starting to fade a little bit,” Ray said. “Yeah, I’m seriously thinking about what my future is going to be.”

Ray is set to become a free agent in February but says if he plays, it will most likely be in Toronto.

“I can’t imagine playing anywhere else. If I would like to come back, this will be the first choice,” he said.

Ray said there’s an appeal to going out a Grey Cup champion as Redblacks quarterback Henry Burris did last year.

“There’s still a lot to accomplish but what is going to make it tougher is the year that we had, the finish that we had, that feeling that you’re at the top of the mountain,” he said. “Being able to have this as my last memory of playing, it’s going to make it more difficult.”

The crowd at Tuesday’s Grey Cup celebration in Nathan Phillip’s Square chanted “one more year” during Ray’s speech to which he responded, “what about two?” But a day later he said he was only joking.

“I was just kidding around. No hidden meaning,” he said.

Just a few days into the off-season, Ray says there isn’t a timetable to make a decision.

“Going off last year’s experience, I knew before the end of the year. It’s going to come down to how I feel,” Ray said. “It’s just going to be a gut feeling. One day I’m just going to know what my decision is going to be and I’ll just role with it.”

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1397 Articles)

18 Comments on Ricky Ray ‘seriously thinking’ about retirement

1. Go out a winner Ricky-You have nothing to prove at this point. You’re a guarantee for the HOF. Stay healthy well you can, maybe get into coaching in some capacity. Either way all the best!

2. Less sad horsie // November 29, 2017 at 3:58 pm //

HE should retire. You go out a winner and on your own terms. People will remember your last moment forever.

3. Feeling Blue // November 29, 2017 at 4:05 pm //

Don’t go Ricky….you still have it.

4. Maybe the best QB ever, hope he sticks around.

• Nope, Doug Flutie. Ricky is certainly up there and as an Argo fan, yes I hope he sticks around.

5. Can’t blame him if he wants to retire on a high note and is still healthy.
    Zach returns to the Blue Team?

6. greenenvy? // November 29, 2017 at 4:27 pm //

He’s not retiring. It sounds to me like he’ll be back as long as Argos want him. The big thing is do they want him back as a starter. They were prepared to offer a bundle for Collaros. One of Collaros & Manziel will be out there. So will Franklin, maybe Harris, among others. There’s a good opportunity to get a younger QB this year. TO may wait to see what they can get.

7. Not a bandwagon jumper // November 29, 2017 at 4:39 pm //

If he leaves and the Argos don’t get a first class replacement, they will 4th.

8. Prove me wrong // November 29, 2017 at 4:48 pm //

I believe that Toronto should convince Ray to stay for at least one more year. Like BC, have Ray as the mentor/backup QB to whomever they believe is going to be their starter for the next few years. If their starting QB is good enough, and stays healthy, Ray gets paid, TO gets one of the best possible QB mentors, and an instant great buck up QB, if they need one. Just like the Mass-Ray years in Edmonton.

• More Cowbell // November 29, 2017 at 5:28 pm //

I agree with this.
      Ray as QB coach and first backup to an established QB (Collaros, Harris, maybe Franklin) would be ideal. Ray could then transition to QB coach only once the new regime is established.

9. Sources Say // November 29, 2017 at 5:26 pm //

He’s old enough that Chris Jones might be interested in him.

10. dangerdan21 // November 29, 2017 at 5:34 pm //

Jeremiah masoli will be Argo if that happens

11. Clay Connor // November 29, 2017 at 10:43 pm //

If Ricky Ray decides to retire, bring Zach back.

12. He’s not retiring. His agent merely reminded him he has to play coy so they’ll have leverage in the upcoming contract negotiation with Popp.