Jarious Jackson goes from Riders QB coach to Lions offensive coordinator

The B.C. Lions are handing Jarious Jackson the keys to their troubled attack after the CFL club named the former quarterback as its new offensive co-ordinator on Thursday.

Jackson played seven seasons with the Lions from 2005 to 2011 before serving as B.C.’s quarterbacks coach in 2013.

The 40-year-old spent the last two seasons as the passing game co-ordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He held the same roles with the Edmonton Eskimos in 2014 and 2015.

“My thoughts on Jarious’s ability as a coach are well-documented and he has gained some valuable experience over the past number of years,” said Lions head coach Wally Buono. “He’s enjoyed a significant amount of success since being here in 2013 and we’re fortunate to have him returning to our organization.”

Jackson, who replaces Khari Jones after he was let go over the weekend, won the Grey Cup in 2015 under then-Eskimos and current Lions general manager Ed Hervey. He also won three Grey Cups as a player (2006, 2011 and 2012).

Jackson will be tasked with tutoring B.C. quarterback Jonathon Jennings, who had a breakout year in 2016 but struggled through injury and inconsistency last season as the franchise missed the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

The Lions averaged 26.1 points per game in 2017 – good for sixth overall – with Jones getting roundly criticized for a scheme that was often too predictable and failed to adequately use the weapons at his disposal.

“I’m excited to return to where my career in the CFL began,” said Jackson. “I believe the team that Ed and Wally are putting together is going to be very competitive and I’m excited to be part of the organization once again.”

B.C. also announced Thursday that Ryan Rigmaiden has resigned his position as director of U.S. scouting.

64 Comments on Jarious Jackson goes from Riders QB coach to Lions offensive coordinator

1. Lancaster/Reed // December 14, 2017 at 4:55 pm //

Good for Jarious. Kind of like going back home for him.

2. Mr Curling // December 14, 2017 at 5:00 pm //

Great opportunity for Jarious, definitely a promotion. Hope we don’t lose too many more pieces after our little burst of success, we need continuity now more than ever after the revolving road show of the last few years

• agreed, also opens the door for KG to be informally NOW a QB coach/p.t. player this haps,s a interesting development indeed, or perhaps IF Ray retires— an opportunity to become a QB coach with the riders.

• stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 6:28 pm //

Why does every possible player movement or player’s personal decisions have a net end result for the riders. Who says Glenn would want to be a coach (sask or anywhere else?) He does have business interests in Detroit.
        Ricky Ray? Why would you make that jump? He retires to coach QB’s in sask?
        Such narcissism!!

• Dave in Edmonton // December 14, 2017 at 10:09 pm //

Says the most delusional person on this site haha. Hey Donkey, newsflash no one cares what you say you narcissistic pig

• Lancaster/Reed // December 14, 2017 at 11:28 pm //

Choke.

• justforkicks // December 15, 2017 at 1:06 am //

Well the move obviously creates an opening in the Riders staff so there has to be a net end result. Whether it’s Glenn (who said he wants to remain in Sask at least as QB) or someone else I’m safe to say it will be decided before the start of the season and likely without input from you or me.

• How did the grey cup turn out for you donkey???

• stomp into 2018 // December 15, 2017 at 6:34 pm //

At least I had something to do Grey Cup Sunday other than pull out the old VCR and watch 1989- Miracle on Astroturf!!!!

• Maybe Glenn does get the QB player/coach gig. I think Ray is more likely to stay in TO as backup/QB coach/mentor to Franklin. To me that’s the end game, regardless of what is said to the contrary. There was no attempt to sign him during the season. The public messaging had to change after Ray winning the Cup but that doesn’t mean the long term plan did. You can’t say you don’t want him to start. Ray has mentioned as recently as 2016 that he wants to get into coaching. Interestingly, neither Edmonton, where Ray & Maas are still very close, or TO have a QB coach. Maas never replaced Walch after he promoted him from QB coach to OC. I’m betting Ray will be the backup & the carrot will be a coaching position in short order. WIth MLSE on board don’t think there won’t be heavy pressure to get the “next guy” signed. MLSE are a powerhouse who could put their considerable media savvy into promoting the Argos with a young QB like Franklin as the centerpiece. The sale has made TO as a destination point. There’s a lot to like about the Argos right now.

3. stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 5:11 pm //

Nice to see the riders finally giving the the CFL’s talent pool rather than taking all the time.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 14, 2017 at 5:13 pm //

Choke.

• stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 6:03 pm //

The schedule is out, we have a shorter off season than normal and players are being re-signed. The Calgary Stampeders have moved into the 2018 season. Win or lose the 2017 Grey Cup, it would only matter in the history books and our trophy cases now.
        We don’t celebrate until our next win like sask does. My God, between 1989 and 2007 you would have though sask had won every year the way you all carried on.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 14, 2017 at 7:46 pm //

So that means you wont ever mention the stamps 2017 regular season record again? Moving beyond 2017 and all? Right? F**king hypocrite.

• stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 9:47 pm //

I only ever mention it when I’m forced to defend. It seems more important to rider fans than it does to me. You’re the ones always reliving past Calgary loses.

Really, 1 week past the Grey Cup all partying is over and preps for the next season have started. Actually its probably more like 3 or 4 days!
            Really Lancaster Reed, look at 2007 or 2013. There’s the initial thrill of the win,buying your merchandise the next day and the media coverage through the parade/ locker clean out, but past that is there really any true celebrating?

• Lancaster/Reed // December 14, 2017 at 11:29 pm //

Choke.

• are you hearing that annoying troll stomping noise in the room again ? agree with you , if ignored long enough it will go away !!!!

• Owned

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // December 14, 2017 at 5:18 pm //

Corey Chamblin, Richie Hall, Paul LaPolice, Bob Dyce, Kavis Reed, all actively employed in the CFL and that’s just off the top of my head.

• stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm //

Chamblin made his name in Calgary
        Lapolice, Dice were both well established prior being in Sask… Kavis Reed? I’d reconsider that one!

• Lancaster/Reed // December 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm //

Choke

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // December 15, 2017 at 11:28 am //

Chamblin was nothing more than the DB coach in Calgary(Chris Jones was D coordinator and his boss), Dice was a receivers coach in Winnipeg and nothing more. Yet both received their first HC jobs in Sask.

Like Reed or not, he became a HC and then GM after his time in Sask. How many HC positions have you held? And HC doesn’t stand for hoovering cocks, so that doesn’t count.

• stomp into 2018 // December 15, 2017 at 6:36 pm //

lol Well everyone starts somewhere.
            None of them are roughrider born,
            Chamblin learned under Huff

• How did that GC celebration end donkey???

4. Jeff Garcia's Agent // December 14, 2017 at 5:15 pm //

Former QBC Khari Jones back to Sask now?

• or that lol Khari was excellent with riders coaching Darrien. But I think Khari will land a bit higher up the food chain perhaps in Montreal as OC once then make a hire for HC.

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // December 15, 2017 at 11:31 am //

Calvillo is still under contract and the current OC in Montreal. Hard to see Montreal getting rid of or demoting him, given his stature.

5. I am guessing Jackson didn’t want to go thru another 4th or 5th place Finnish with the sliders again

• Dave in Edmonton // December 14, 2017 at 10:12 pm //

Ahhh Dan; the biggest embarrassment out of Edmonton “area”. It’s amazing they let you use the internet on the reserve, who pays?

• justforkicks // December 15, 2017 at 1:10 am //

He does not look Finnish to me but I don’t know that many

6. After retiring JJ was the Argos QB coach for one year before going to Edmonton in 2014. Good on Jackson to become the OC in BC, long overdue! I’ve always felt he should have been the OC in Edmonton and SK over McAdoo.

7. ahh let the unprovoked Rider bashing begin again !!!! Man sad , once again /// as I have been mentored to ignore and not reply anymore to this hateful//inaccurate and spiteful/jealous drivel as that then fuels the riders haters even more !!! I have learned my lesson , as great minds once said , YOU CANT TEACH stupid !!! So I will let all these trash postings pass and enjoy some of the intelligent discussion on this sight by tasteful fans, and back my favorite team with fact. pride and passion.

8. also love Riders get a 1st crack at the Champs!! I am wondering if it might be a Franklin vs Bridge showdown , that would be kind of kewl !!!

9. stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 5:46 pm //

I’m surprised Wally didn’t turn to his old standard for OC- Jacques Chapdelaine

10. White Horse // December 14, 2017 at 6:07 pm //

My 2nd favourite HC (Wally) will put a good coaching team together in Lion-land. His last hurrah needs to fulfill a great career. I wish him well. He mentored Dave Dickenson, Chris Jones, Jarious Jackson and a plethora of CFL players in the past and currently in the league. Some of Wally’s greatest gifts to the CFL was Allen Pitts, Jeff Garcia, Henry Burris, Dave Dickenson etc. I wish only the best in 2018 and hope the 2018 West Final will be Stamps and Lions for Wally’s sake.

11. Sixbeamers // December 14, 2017 at 6:47 pm //

Jackson, then the Lions QB coach, was bypassed for the OC position in 2014 when the team went in search of a “high profile” candidate. Paul LaPolice was the intended target. Ultimately, the job went to Khari Jones. Jackson, disappointed at the rejection, bolted for Edmonton. Now, four seasons later, he returns to take over the job that was held by Jones in 2017.
    In the CFL, what goes around, comes around.

12. He’s paid his dues. Good for Jarious. Hope he does well.

13. Awesome signing for the Lions. I like KJ, but he seemed to go stale. Jarious should breathe some like into the offence…

14. Stamps4Life // December 14, 2017 at 8:02 pm //

As a Stamps fan I’m embarrassed for my team and fan base with the senseless drivel the the horsie puts out under multiple user names.
    PLEASE JUST STOP POSTING!
    You are a grown man from what I have gathered over time spent on this site and as a grown man you should be ashamed of yourself. Stop acting like a child, you are not one.

• As another Stamps fan I am also embarrassed by that guy and his multiple usernames. Yikes eh, there’s some good Stamps folks out there but that guy is clearly lost.

• I would have to agree. While I will always be a Stamps fan, this guy and his various names takes it too far and deserves time on the bench. To me it’s only a game. Apparently to some others it’s more than that. The infatuation with Chris Jones is getting a bit old as well. Move on, the team has.

• Thanks for the comments gent’s, folk’s like you three, make me start to rekindle faith there still are some great fans/people in Calgary. I just get so danged upset when reding some of those comments from that other fellow, hard to contain the disrespect and not throw everyone under the same bus!!!

15. Donkeyisstillanidiot.com // December 14, 2017 at 11:05 pm //

How you feeling now Donkey?

• stomp into 2018 // December 14, 2017 at 11:18 pm //

lolol
      How do I feel about a group of “Stamp Fans” conveniently disparaging me all in a row. RATHER ENTERTAINED THANK YOU.
      I wouldn’t normally dignify this type of thing with a response,but you asked!
      Nice try guys

16. This thread is about my lions and JJ as our new OC, not about horsecrap. Grow the f up and spread your venom elsewhere. Even your own can’t stand you and are embarrassed by you. It was not a nice TRY. Try implies something was tried but did not work. In this case it DID work, they explained how they are Stamp fans and are embarrassed by you. They did not just try, they succeeded in getting their point across.

This site is for grown ups. You need to find something that is down at your level. Now run along.

17. Seeing Red // December 15, 2017 at 1:02 am //

Next HC in BC perhaps. Seems like a decent guy.

18. Good for JJ. It’s a well deserved promotion. Maybe JJ will be good for JJ out in BC. Not sure if the Riders will replace him or not. If we do there are so e good candidates.

19. Good move for JJ and well deserved. Once a Lion always a Lion per say. Maybe KJ will swap positions with him in going back to the Riders if he does not end up in Montreal.