Riders receiver Duron Carter delivers cryptic tweet on Christmas

Saskatchewan Roughriders receiver Duron Carter delivered a cryptic Christmas Day tweet about his future plans.

After signing a one-year deal for 2017 where he made around $130,000 with the Riders, the 26-year-old is a pending CFL free agent in February. There could be NFL opportunities for Carter, who said during the season that the league ‘better be’ watching him in the CFL.

He’s already had at least one NFL look.

During the season, Carter has made an impression on the fan base. Spectacular catches and a willingness to part with souvenirs quickly endeared him to the Riders faithful. And more than 20 of them showed up at a Toronto theatre on the Saturday afternoon before the East Final to be treated to a movie by Carter.

“I think I’ve left a little bit of a mark in Rider nation, even if I wasn’t going to come back they’ll still remember me,” Carter said after the Riders were eliminated in the East Final by the Toronto Argonauts. “It definitely feels like home.”

He led the Riders in 2017 with 1,043 receiving yards and nine touchdowns (including one on defence) during the regular season, earning him the Riders Most Outstanding Player award.

Carter also made one of the year’s best catches, a highlight-reel touchdown grab during the Riders’ 38-27 victory over the Argos at Mosaic Stadium in late July.

Speaking of which, DeAndre Hopkins made a similar grab in the fourth quarter of the Houston Texans’ game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Christmas Day.The biggest difference between the two: Hopkins’ team got blown out.

It would seem that Carter has all the physical tools to play in the NFL and he said after the playoff loss that’s always been the goal.

“Playing in the NFL has been my dream since I can remember,” he said. “That’s what I’ve always wanted to do, so in the right situation, I would definitely love to be there.”

56 Comments on Riders receiver Duron Carter delivers cryptic tweet on Christmas

1. ivan Diablo // December 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm //

sounds like he is NFL bound

2. Billinburlington // December 27, 2017 at 4:04 pm //

A complex and controversial player. If he signs with the NFL good for him- it will reinforce the message that the CFL can be a route to the NFL. And if he stays in the CFL, we get to continue to see great plays and an interesting sideshow from time to to time. If it’s a personal announcement (e.g. engagement) his joke is on us! A win all around!

3. He’s a special talent. Too bad he’s as dumb as a bag of rocks.

• greenenvy? // December 27, 2017 at 4:27 pm //

Hey, have some respect for the rocks. The diva needs a little attention – AGAIN. Of course the slider fan base will comply. Let the hysteria begin.

• justforkicks // December 27, 2017 at 6:30 pm //

Based on what you and other below have posted you haters have beat us to the punch. Jealous much??

• Gene Upshawed // December 27, 2017 at 8:16 pm //

I make more than Carter does (and my father made a LOT more than his father did). Why would I be jealous of the headcase? It’s just as lazy to simply label us “haters” (when we are right) as it is for Trump to call the truth “fake news.”

Carter got thrown out of a university that takes great care to ensure it’s jocks have easy classes – just like his father. Unlike his father, he got cut by an NFL team that had needs at WR. He is still the same headcase he was then. What makes you think he’ll stick down there now?

Duron is destined to be a CFL retread that eventually plays for every team as he wears out his welcome everywhere he goes.

4. Anyone that thinks duron carter,is a fool is an idiot himself. Duron is young and loves to kibitz but is no fool…..

• greenenvy? // December 27, 2017 at 5:12 pm //

Of course not. Those daily chat sessions which Jones talked about had nothing to do with keeping Carter focused.

• Jacques Barzun // December 27, 2017 at 8:30 pm //

^^^^This. Oh, and I didn’t call him a fool (though obviously he has proven on the field countless times), I called him an airhead (which he also is).

• Ridersnhabs // December 28, 2017 at 10:31 am //

I think you might consider talking to someone everyday about your unhealthily obsession with the riders

5. canajun coaster // December 27, 2017 at 4:59 pm //

Unquestionably Duron Carter is not an idiot! He’s bright, imaginative and a dam good football who will know how to show off his skills to NFL teams – he knows when too be serious!

• Gene Upshawed // December 27, 2017 at 8:24 pm //

LOL! Like his father, he could not stay academically eligible and got thrown out of a major university because of it. That’s because they are both airheads. Think of all the low-IQ losers in the NFL that managed to stay academically eligible over the years (that would be almost 100% of them). Then ask yourself how dumb Duron and Cris ‘You Need a Fall Guy’ Carter had to be to both be thrown out because they were too stupid to pass even the jock-courses those school keep in the curriculum just for guys like Duron. You do yourself a great disservice to suggest he’s bright. That’s absolutely the one thing we can be certain he is not. He’s also the same guy that picked up 6 yards for Montreal a year ago on 2nd and 10 and immediately began jawing with the defender about how great he was as the defender waved goodbye to him. Yeah, he’s a genius. And he’s already shown off his skills to the Indy Colts. How did that go?

6. He’s just craving attention.

7. Johnny Bananas // December 27, 2017 at 5:10 pm //

He will be announcing that he will host a talk show. Not football related at all.

• greenenvy? // December 27, 2017 at 5:17 pm //

Maybe he can get those leaky pipes fixed & get someone to install some more fountains. Oh & there is a section which doesn’t handle snow well. Amazing how much still has to be done on the new barn.

• Still hurting over the Grey Cup? You’ll be alright.

• greenenvy? // December 27, 2017 at 6:11 pm //

Not a Stamps fan, Real, but fire away. All those trips to stadiums to bring the best of everything into designing Moo-saiic & you can’t make the stalls big enough for opposing linemen? I know, someone’s bright idea of getting an edge. I wonder if those billion dollar NFL arenas skimped on visitor’s dressing rooms. Not likely. You want to show the players what they’re missing. And I don’t mean square footage. Good way to attract free agents by showing how cheap you are.

• Awe. It’s ok.

• Your Name says it all. Envy is becoming of you.

• sorry green again , a poor visitors locker in comparison to a home teams locker is theb standard in every pro sports teams facility, ergo called the home team advantage , I for one think its great if some whiney player from another team does not like the change room he can walk over to the OLD mosaic and change there in the ruins !!! am sure the I am sure the Esk visitors rooms is not that nice either or bombers etc etc!!! Hopefuly though ours is the worst, as you know ihate the stumps for all I care they could change in the sewer and I would be happy !!! Again NOT the Riders job to make the visiting team feel comfortable and happy to be playing at Mosaic!!!

8. Red&White Forever // December 27, 2017 at 5:15 pm //

Of course he’s an idiot. He’s not in the NFL already because the sample size of his talent in college was minuscule. Why? Because of eligibility issues due to academics. He played a single season of Division 1 as a true freshman at OSU, wasn’t able to play in the Rose Bowl that season and eventually had to transfer to Junior College the next year because he was academically uneligible to play. He then played a single season of JUCO, before once again running into academic ineligibility. That’s it. Through 2 more years at Alabama and Florida Atlantic respectively, he didn’t play a game. He has been forced to showcase his skills in a non-traditional way because of his idiocy. Now, just because he’s an idiot, doesn’t mean he can’t play football, it just means that academic issues have created a reason why he’s not already in the NFL. Despite his college woes, the dumbass can play at a high level.

• Duron never went or cared about class. Not as though that is unusual for an athlete. If he applied himself, he would do fine in school.

Carter should have just gone somewhere where they don’t give a damn, which would be almost all big time football and basketball colleges with North Carolina being the most glaring example.

• Time will tell // December 27, 2017 at 8:35 pm //

Carter would never be happy playing anywhere that they didn’t give a dam. He needs the attention.

9. If he can make it, good for him. Probably what every American playing in the CFL would like to do.

10. The way Duron operates its probably a declaration that he is now drinking (and loving) Pilsner beer and is a converted country music fan. His strange way of having fun with the Twitter world. In many ways I’m joking but with this guy, who knows…

• In all seriousness I’m guessing that he is signing a contract extension with the Riders. Two years with performance bonuses. Seems as if he is liking the province and Rider Nation is feeling the same way about him. I think his NFL opportunity came and went a couple years ago.

• BleedzGreen // December 28, 2017 at 1:24 am //

Agree, but I think he’ll only extend a year.

• greenenvy? // December 28, 2017 at 2:13 am //

If he’s back in the CFL a 3rd time with a one year deal so he can try to get a team in the NFL to give him a shot, that says a lot. Despite his boast that “they better be watching me”, he’s not exactly been a hot ticket down South. Another season, another 1 year deal, another 12 months of Carter telling all who’ll listen of his greatness. Boring.

11. Duron Carter is a nice guy. He has done Things to help the less fortunate and did not ask for anything in return. I wish people would not tear people down I wish the beat for all the players that want to better there situation. Ie finch Carter etc.

12. If he goes to the NFL good for him. However the only thing missing from his game, other than the occasional lack of focus is straight ahead speed. Not sure if his game is suited for the NFL either. Plus not one franchise is going to put up with the look at me bit. I will admit I wasn’t sure what to make of his signing here last year, but he exceeded all of my expectations. If it doesn’t work out down south, he’ll have a home in Riderville.2

• greenonions // December 27, 2017 at 8:20 pm //

Plus he didn’t test great in his vertical & never did do the 225 lb bench. Unlikely he would have excelled there. The NFL combine results count for something down there & his are, to be charitable, unremarkable. Add to this his similarly unremarkable college careeer, well covered by Red&White above. & his undrafted status & you can see why he hasn’t been asked to many workouts by NFL teams. It is what it is.

• justforkicks // December 27, 2017 at 11:10 pm //

He may lack speed but he sure can put the moves on when he has to as witnessed by the two pointer he returned and the interception on BLM.
      I was another fan that questioned his signing but if he keeps on playing as he has I have no concerns with him. He’s not the only one to chirp and tweet and so far he did a good job of following up. He has heart and fire just a little immature.

13. Time will tell // December 27, 2017 at 8:29 pm //

I suspect Duron Carter was feeling neglected after being out of the news for a couple of weeks. He seems to need a regular dose of admiration and idolization which only Rider nation can give him. I predict that he will sign with the Riders again because what NFL team needs a high maintenance, immature yet arrogant player like Duron Carter? None. They have their pick of receivers. Carter is not the best in the CFL, let alone the NFL. He does not even compare to Juju Smith-Schuster, who is a rookie with the Steelers, and is only 21 years old. They don’t need the nut case idiots like Duron Carter. I feel sorry for any NFL team that would sign him. They won’t keep him long. Not many coaches other than Chris Jones are willing or desperate enough to put in the time and effort to control him.

14. RealityCheck // December 27, 2017 at 9:26 pm //

I absolutely love how 3DN uses any and all Riders stories/news to bring the haters out so they (3DN) can get their hits and sell their advertising. It’s like laying hook in the water and some big mouth fish will always latch on and then take a run. The secret is to use the popular bait. Well played 3DN!

15. Duron trolling fans… clearly he’s just going to announce a change in his hair style.

• Whatever he does, he’ll claim that it was the big news. Whether it was signing with an NFL team, signing with Sask all over again, or signing with another CFL team in February. At this point, the majority of known free agents could make that claim. But they don’t all crave attention the way Carter does.

16. Provemewrong // December 27, 2017 at 10:54 pm //

I hope he leaves the CFL…. What a piece of crap.

17. To all the haters that post on 3 down – whether it be against a Rider player or any other CFL players – please shut your mouths & quit posting hate articles! In all likelihood you have NEVER talked to the players that you are railing against, nor do you know much about them as a person – vs as a player. You have every right to have your own opinion of a player & how he plays but the HATE that is spewed on a lot of articles on this site is ridiculous! As are the comments – take this article & the hate spewing from some of the comments. What has Duron ever done to you people as a person? Have you ever met him & actually talked to him? He may chirp during a game to another player but that’s between the 2 of them. And you don’t know if anything caused him to chirp. Just like I don’t complain about other teams players as I don’t know what caused it – always 2 sides to a story. I’m assuming that your mothers never taught you ‘If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything’. AND ‘If you don’t know the facts, keep your mouth shut!’ I’m really curious as to what age some of the posters are as I don’t think most are past their teens!

18. It’s any football player’s dream to play on an NFL practice roster.

19. All is well !!

20. He sells tickets. He generates interest … as confirmed above. Academics related to pro sports? C’mon folks … do you need to google to find reasons to dislike a player?

• Time will tell // December 28, 2017 at 2:22 pm //

Nope. I don’t need to Google to dislike Duron Carter. I just dislike him for his arrogance, his antics and his inability to just shut his mouth.

21. Larry Fahlman // December 28, 2017 at 8:31 am //

He is announcing a new website!

22. If he ever wants to win a championship he MUST leave sliderville because he will NEVER win one there.

23. Bizarre happenings again.
    Carter tweets Christmas day? No one invited him to Christmas dinner? I’m sure the Carter family can afford a turkey.
    Takes riderfans to a movie? No teammate wanted to go with him?
    I’m seeing a trend in Carter’s life.
    News in the “next few weeks” sounds like attention seeking to me and there likely is nothing!!!!

24. Actually trolls the CFL needs a few more characters like Carter He can back up his chatter with action and we need a little more of his excitement and colour

25. I’m a Duron Carter fan as he’s one of the most exciting, interesting players ever to play in the CFL and I’ve been a fan most of my life.

While I wish him well, I sure hope this is bit of a negotiating ploy to get the ante upped for his services.

Something tells me he’s not as desirous of an NFL dream role as he is about the lifestyle he can enjoy in Canada.

26. Yep I would figure this drivel would be posted here, yep haters abound, the same ones that are licking their lips over Johnny Drunk Arse Woman Assaulter (alleged) and NFL Party Boy (in a “Jackass Show” sort of way), I have seen Duron in Person away from the Locker Room, great person…. Sure he is a character, and possibly a Media Hound, not saying he is not because I know better, He has rubbed some the wrong way, but from all that I heard about him it is basic at best, ooooh he said something bad to me….ooohhh he laughed at me….ooooh he is playing with the RIDERS…. omg, he has done some great things for himself and the organisation this year, is he perfect…no, but give him some love instead of hate…. seriously, some people…..

27. Duron Carter = CFL Chad Ochocinco