Zach Collaros familiar with Riders’ Chris Jones

When Zach Collaros came north in 2012, the current Riders head coach and general manager was a defensive coordinator in Toronto.

“I’ve known Chris Jones now for about six years. He’s one of the guys who was instrumental in getting me into the CFL,” Collaros told TSN‘s Matthew Scianitti.

“So having that familiarity with him, some guys on the staff, coach [Stephen] McAdoo, it’s definitely encouraging for me and I couldn’t be more excited to work with those guys. They’re about winning the right way and I’m very, very excited to get out in Regina.”

Collaros spoke with Jones on Wednesday after the deal was consummated, but did he anoint the 29-year-old as the Riders starting quarterback?

“It wasn’t a question that I asked and it wasn’t something that he brought up,” Collaros said.

“But in this business, you always have to be ready to compete, so whatever the deal is I’m ready to compete, if you’re not in this business you’re not going to have a job. I’ve been doing that my whole life, nothing has been handed to me. I know the kind of guy that Chris Jones is, he’s a blue-collar guy and wants competition.”

“What I want is to play good football, I want to be given every opportunity I can to play the game the right way, to learn the game every single day and I just want to play at a high level. That’s more for my agent to comment on,” Collaros said.

“From last year, from my perspective, all I care about is playing good football and winning and that’s what I want to bring to Saskatchewan.”

One thing Collaros is certain about: being excited to play in Riderville.

“I understand the history of this league and how much football means to the people of Saskatchewan, it really is the province’s team. When I first came in this league in 2012 I was able to play a game for Toronto out there in Saskatchewan, during a long road stretch, I remember thinking to myself this is how the game should be, this is what I’m used to, that kind of an atmosphere whatever the day might be,” Collaros said.

“I’m just really looking forward to getting into that environment. From an organizational standpoint, they have a lot of resources out there, they want to win badly for the fanbase.”

29 Comments on Zach Collaros familiar with Riders’ Chris Jones

1. Scottsask // January 3, 2018 at 5:33 pm //

Welcome to Rider Nation Zach! Best of luck and good health to you in 2018 and beyond!

2. Lexa Martel // January 3, 2018 at 5:39 pm //

Welcome to Ridernation Zach!!! Your attitude towards the game of football sounds like a perfect fit here with the Ridernation fanbase….waiting to see if green and white look good on ya!!

3. Zachs first start: July 19th here in Hamilton(?). In that case, maybe we will see him set the record for consecutive losses after all!!
    Go “Mazaratti” Go!
    2018: The Year of the Cats!

4. Realistic one // January 3, 2018 at 5:41 pm //

Yeh right, the defensive co-ordinator was ‘instrumental’ in bringing a rookie quarterback into the league.

Zack Collaros may have a future as a politician.

• Antlerman // January 3, 2018 at 9:47 pm //

Not sure why thats a suprise good defensive coaches would be a good judge of offensive talent

5. “But in this business, you always have to be ready to compete, so whatever the deal is I’m ready to compete” Well Zach what happened to your compete last season?

‘On the current terms of Collaros’ contract, he is set to make over $500,000 and be the highest paid player in the league in 2018, but his focus is not on renegotiating the deal.’ Of course not, why would he want to negotiate his sweet deal… it can only go in one direction.

“What I want is to play good football, I want to be given every opportunity I can to play the game the right way, to learn the game every single day and I just want to play at a high level.” How much are you learning about the game every day in Mexico or wasting time answering 20 Questions with Brodie Lawson about your first celebrity crush? Maybe a tad more focus is needed in Regina Zach, otherwise Steubenville will be your next stop.

• Your comment proves that you know diddly squat about the kind of person and player Collaros is!

• I dunno, TFMCB. I heard Zach had to miss three weeks of practice to complete that interview. What do you think, that a two-minute interview can be done in a few minutes or something?

• True green // January 4, 2018 at 10:36 pm //

Seriously? A player offseason shouldn’t take a trip to Mexico?

6. I’m liking this guy more and more. A+ for attitude and leadership skills.

“I understand the history of this league and how much football means to the people of Saskatchewan, it really is the province’s team.”

He gets it.

Jones and co. have reinvigorated the Rider fan base as well! Welcome to the team!

7. Collaros will ‘manage’ the offense unlike in Hamilton where he was the ‘focus’ of the offense. That is the ‘right’way to play the game as he clearly states after his meeting with Jones. Get ready CFL, the Riders are ready to dominate. The fans are hungry for Cups. Not one but two or three. The franchise has never had the money to do so before like a Toronto or Edmonton. Now the Riders have the money and the best football stage in Canada to make some football history. Wish all of you could be here to revel in the fun. It is going to be a blast.

• Your a lot different than most Rider fans. You admit your trying to buy a winning football team. I find the difference to be most refreshing.

• Everyone is trying to buy a winning team Einstein. For the 70s, 80s an 90s Riders spent hundreds of thousands less than everyone. Couldn’t afford elite QB’s. 1 season in history we spent tons and tons of loonies, about 17,000 more than the next team and people like u still whine……………I waited a minute to continue. Are you done crying yet?

• You seem upset. I’m not crying as you suggest. I’m merely pointing out some realities, as I see them. They seem to bother you. Why is that?

8. Blue Rules // January 3, 2018 at 7:20 pm //

Hahahaha, jack every year Rider fans start with that same bravado, then by game 5 it’s stupid coach, useless QB’s, dumb ref’s……2019 were going to win it all woohoo! Your funny.

• Ridersnhabs // January 3, 2018 at 8:18 pm //

And that somehow different that any fan of any team . I have seen fans of every team when things go bad grumble . But of course im sure you don’t , you are perfect . Like Ned Flanders

• Ditchbanger // January 3, 2018 at 10:39 pm //

I believe the Bombers have this ability mastered, for what,27 years in a row now?

• The Bombers are a disaster team and fan base. Pipe down guy, you sound more idiotic each and every day.

9. White Horse // January 3, 2018 at 7:22 pm //

What makes the rider masses think they have their messiah? Why is he going to turn it on and turn it up in riderland? He could not get the job done in Hamilton. Blame it on the O-line, Austin or whoever.
    I like Collaros, but he will have to show that he still has the mojo and the mental and physical tools to get it done. Good luck….

• The Riders could sign a 300 lb, 60 year old washer woman, with bad knees, bad ankles and a weak arm and rejoice in their uncanny ability to sign talent. AS long as they sign with the Riders that’s good enough for them.

• antoine lussier // January 3, 2018 at 7:41 pm //

you forgot an ability to do laundry, cooking, answer the phone, raise children, know the rules of football, an ability to sing the national anthem, etc…….

• Ridersnhabs // January 3, 2018 at 8:15 pm //

Sounds like that’s your resume , are you applying for the job ?

• Let’s see … phantom run game that the league knows about for 3+ years, basically all new receivers and zero adjustments for this, in addition to the O line struggles.

Looking at the time under Jones … a run game, adjustments to the receivers and O line.

Time will tell but it wouldn’t be a shock for a better system/better HC to change the results.

10. I’m a long time ticat fan and Zach was railroaded last
    year. Jones knew he could play but bench him because
    he wanted to prove to Austin he could get the best out
    of their 2nd stringer and prove that he can coach any
    QB to a high level, thus securing a H.Coaching job.
    Zach will do a great job for the riders.

• Well said PETER. Anyone who wants to put all those losses at the beginning of the season solely on Zach doesn’t know much about football! He would have been lighting it up if he`d had the same kind of protection and a running game like Masoli experienced – to say nothing of the fact that the Ticats` D was much improved under Lolley and didn’t give games away like they did a couple of times at least early on. Jones kept saying that he KNEW Zach could play but wouldn’t let him on the field!

• Getting the best from a 2nd string QB is the way to win a HC job?

While I like Collaros … I doubt your theory. Masoli runs much better than Collaros – adding another challenge for the opposing defense.

The railroading IMO was Austin’s preference for too much passing with no adjustments for the strengths of the players on the field.

11. As someone who doesn’t cheer for the Riders, Im quite happy with this deal and grab all the money you can get your hands on Zack !!!

12. Dundas dude // January 4, 2018 at 9:05 pm //

A quality player and I wish him the best (except when they’re playing the Cats).