Experience helping Lulay in latest recovery

It’s a telling sign of both the fragility and recuperative ability of Travis Lulay when he was asked whether it’s more difficult to rehab a major shoulder injury or the surgically-repaired right knee which is the current focus of the BC Lions.

Face it, the man has had some experience at both in his CFL career so far.

“You’d be surprised how many people have asked ‘how’s your shoulder?’ My shoulder’s fine. It’s the knee now, right?” he joked.

Indeed it is, and because the 34-year-old quarterback is trying to make yet another comeback, he threw to a handful of volunteering veteran receiving teammates for roughly 34 minutes Friday at the club’s Surrey facility. The irony was not lost on Lulay, nor to those on hand which was part of the story itself, that there seemed more focus on his throwing mechanics in a controlled setting than his agility.

That Lulay would agree to run around and air it out in front of the cameras is also a sign of how things have changed with the Lions under Wally Buono over the years, with new general manager Ed Hervey now in charge.

The last time Lulay had legitimate questions about his shoulder was at training camp in 2014 when Buono threw a virtual blanket over their starting quarterback in Kamloops. It didn’t work well.

“There’s a lesson learned. I wasn’t quite ready. I thought I could just play managed football… We won’t err the same way this time; that was the mistake we made before,” Lulay said. “I was trying to play easy in a live setting which you can’t quite do. We’ll play it smart. One of the first things Ed said was ‘our timeline is your health’s timeline. We don’t need you to do anything by a certain point’.

“I don’t like to be the sideshow.”

So when the Lions eventually hit the practice field in Kamloops this time, Lulay will take part in all team activities except team periods, and the focus of this rebuilding franchise will be squarely on the ability of Jon Jennings to recover from his errant ways, as it should.

No, Lulay said, he’s not prepared to declare he’ll be the picture of perfect health even by the opening of the regular season June 16, not when his recovery from a torn right ACL and bi-lateral meniscus, plus damaged MCL, is only in its eighth month.

Many injuries similar to the one Lulay suffered Sept. 8, and had many suggesting his career was over before the Lions took the leap of faith which came in the form of a new contract offer, require a year of recovery.

“I mean I’m optimistic. I know I still have a way to go before I’m game-ready. It’s like a dimmer-switch: It gets a little better as time goes on.…It’s a continual struggle. I’ve learned to emotionally detach,” Lulay said.

And the Lions have learned how to better deal with a major injury to a player who’ll invariably play a big role in their potential success much differently than the past.

“Just remember, if we had put him on the deferred list (for camp) he has no part of practice. To me that’s not even an option,” Buono said.

Alright,  how about this option — which is tougher, rehabbing a knee or a shoulder?

“I joked in the past with the shoulder; (I asked myself) ‘why can’t I hurt my knee like a normal guy’?” said the quarterback. “I don’t wish that on anybody, either one.”

LIONS TALES: The Lions continue to talk with Micah Awe about a possible return but the focus of the second-year linebacker was a tryout Friday at the free agent mini-camp of the Buffalo Bills. … The club confirmed the signings of 2018 draft picks Julien Laurent and Rashari Henry, and that national defensive back Keynan Parker has been released. The non-import spot at safety will be contested by incumbent Anthony Thompson and reacquired veteran Cauchy Muamba…. The Lions are watching the health of RG candidate Charles Vaillancourt, who injured his hand last season and may not yet have fully recovered. Veterans must pass medicals prior to the start of the first camp session May 20.

Lowell Ullrich

Lowell Ullrich

Lowell Ullrich has covered the Lions since 1999 and was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2014. He is also a contributor to TSN1040.
Lowell Ullrich
Lowell Ullrich
About Lowell Ullrich (174 Articles)

34 Comments on Experience helping Lulay in latest recovery

1. Lancaster/Reed // May 11, 2018 at 8:43 pm //

Always liked Lulay. He gives 100% every time, but he is just so injury prone. Well, at 34 he won’t be around too much longer and won’t have to watch the demise of the lions when their attendance drops to Argo numbers, as they continue to struggle on the field.

2. Edward Leslie // May 11, 2018 at 9:10 pm //

I hope Travis Lulay recovers 100% and takes over the Lions starting quarterback spot.
    I am not sold on Jonathan Jennings as a long time starter. He seems more like a flash in the pan, like Casey Printers was. Ed Hervey needs to find and develop prospects too, and I don’t mean this also rans from the NFL scrap heap, like John Beck, JT O’Sullivan or Ricky Stanzi either.

3. Lully is a classy guy, I wish him well however this turns out!

4. Still remember the game Lulay went down. Couldn’t help but feel for the guy, he looked so deflated.

Hope he comes back healthy, and performs well if called upon. Surely when he does pull away from field play, the Lions have a spot for him.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 11, 2018 at 10:27 pm //

Assuming the lions still exist. Lions averaged under 20,000 per game last season. Looks like even less in the caverous bc place.

• Sadly given the three major cities are all having the same issue, you may want to change that to if the CFL exists? The fixation on attendance and negativity towards it, will never grow the game. Some fans may need to learn that they exasperating the attendance problem by the constant negative postings about it. Who wants to go to a venue if it’s not cool! Shooting the league in the foot!

• The word you’re trying to use is “exacerbating” my friend – – NOT exasperating.

Please educate yourself and learn to crawl before attempting to run.

• Your right IQ 51 but it’s the autocorrect. Oops did it do it again. Sorry my friend, I just call them as I see them. Should I need lessons on crawling though i’ll Contact you! Bet you’re good at it and well practised.

5. Duececoupe // May 11, 2018 at 10:27 pm //

Lulay could have had a great career save for the injuries I give him credit for coming back once again .
    Interesting how a certain lion fan troll is all over stories about the riders but nary a comment on the one lone lions story . I guess that shows his real interest in his team .

6. Leos miss the playoffs again. That team and organization is in shambles and has no fan base. Lulay is a good guy though.

7. BC desperately needs The Littke Red Haired Gimp as their starting QB this year because Johnny Jennings is not a competent pro level QB. Problem is, the guy’s even more fragile than Buck Pierce was. So it’ll be another year as a bottom dweller for the Lions.

Fortunately there’ll only be a few thousand people at Lion games to witness the debacle. And after the majority of them visit the methadone clinic next door for their “medicine” they’ll forget the season ever happened.

• Rickety Foldy fan,are you always this negative? If the kids who made fun of you and took your lunch money said sorry would it help.? Do you hate successful athletes, or just successful people in general? Inquiring minds need to know! Lol

• I just call it as I see it, my friend.

I explained last year at this time that Johnny Jennings is a poor man’s Mike Bishop and is a comically bad QB. We saw what happened last year. And nothing’s changed this year.

Jennings still cannot read coverage and he still cannot make accurate throws.

The Little Red Haired Gimp is an infinitely better QB, but he’s about as robust as wet tissue paper.

No QB = bottom feeder again.

• BC Dave // May 12, 2018 at 2:18 pm //

Man, you are a piece of work. I honestly did not think anyone on here could stoop lower than red. He just does not know but you on the other hand are malicious. oh, btw, just calling it as I see it.
      You should also stop calling everyone ‘your friend’. Based on the reply you get, I really do not think anyone here would be willing to admit to it even if it were true. You wanna call em as you see em? Look in a mirror and tell me about the MENTAL gimp you see.
      Let you you in there in place of ‘Jonny’ Jennings and see how you do. LOL, they’d have to scrape your remains off the turf you gutless wonder. It wold be worth a wasted play to see that !!!!!

8. Edward Leslie // May 12, 2018 at 3:25 am //

Area 51:
    You should really try to not act like a dick.
    Ziggy made a minor mistake, which might have been simply been a typo, thanks to that blasted auto correct. We have probably all had a few of them.
    I sure have.
    He actually made a great observation about too much negativity. This is your problem. You are too negative.
    In a world of “Glass half empty” or “Glass half full” personalities, you are a broken glass kind of guy.

• Whether it’s football related discussion or proper use of the English language I’m here to educate and enlighten, my friend.

• The constant use of the term “my friend” and constant negative posts make me wonder if perhaps you spend so much time on here because
        A) you’re desperately trying to find a friend and
        B) Rickety got all the attention when you were growing up and you crave it.
        Just calling them like I see them.

• As I’ve explained previously, “friend” is the least offensive “F” word that I can use to address others on these forums.

• BC Dave // May 12, 2018 at 2:20 pm //

I don’t think it is acting Edward, sadly.

9. Don’t take one or the ten Argos fans out there seriously folks. Let him have his little moments, he needs them!

10. Aereola 51 needs to eff off. Dude all you say is “he’s garbage” about anyone without ever making in depth analysis and you think we are all falling for it? Cool man you watch some college ball, we all do if it’s raining on a Saturday. Man, Toronto really chewed up your joie de vivre! Sucks to be you, my friend. And hey, “I’m just calling it as I see it”

• How much further “in depth” do you require me to detail the shortcomings of Johnny Jennings before you understand why he’s such a terrible QB?

Don’t feel badly if you need further explanation, my friend – – as mentioned previously, I’m here to educate and enlighten.

11. You’re not educating anyone but certainly enlightening us all about your negative personality. And don’t call anyone here your friend. Youz a punk.

• Before we move on, do you now understand why Johnny Jennings is such a garbage QB?

• BC Dave // May 12, 2018 at 2:32 pm //

NO, but you can explain why you are such a useless waste of air 🙂
        Go ruin your own thread and leave ours alone. You are not welcome, we do not want you, we do not care what you think, we do not care how you see it and no one here is your friend. Are you that much of an imbecile to not see that??? Does it need to be dumbed down further for you to comprehend (sorry, too big a word for you. means ‘get it’). YOU are the garbage. Listening to both Travis and JJ, each 1000 times the man you are.

Every breath you take is a waste of good air. Just calling it as I see it, my “FRIEND”.

12. If you’re happy with a last place bottom feeder then I’m happy for you, Lions Fan. But if you’d prefer a moderately respectable team to cheer for, then it’s time to finally acknowledge the QB situation needs to be addressed.

You’re never going to win with a fragile gimp and a hack who cannot read coverage or make accurate throws as your QB tandem. Not in a QB driven league like the CFL.

• Terry Wilson // May 12, 2018 at 8:13 pm //

Jennings is the man, he will prove that this year.

• Surprised no one is hiring you to scout for them or to manage their team? No wait I’m not at all surprised! Stick with your crew chief job at the Golden Arches you’ve reached the pinacle of your abilities and success. Run along now and let the adults converse!

• I’ve got no problem at all with you lobbing personal insults but if you’re going to take a run at me please don’t humiliate yourself by bringing something that weak, my friend.

An “insult” about McDonalds jobs? I’m cringing at how feeble that was.

As for being hired by a CFL team, there’s no need because I post all my player/coach assessments freely for all to access.

13. Outwest // May 12, 2018 at 5:17 pm //

I’ve always thought Lulay was a top notch QB I’ve always hoped the best for the man, but holy moly he’s had some tough luck. He has to have more heart and love for the game then most ten payers do to still want to fight back and play on,, just unreal. I can definitely see hm as a future coach if not for the Lions then some other team. He has a heart that would drive any team to do better. The Lions will find new ownership shortly and start to do well, same goes for the Argos the ownership will settle in and hire the right marketing group and reestablish themselves in the league. Not that long ago we had 5 out of 8 teams on the rocks look at the league now, just takes the right people that give a damn.

• Ridersrule // May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm //

Couldn’t agree more , won a gc as a rookie and looked to be headed in that Ricky Ray direction

• Similar to Buck Pierce, nobody will ever question the heart or determination – – but the cold hard reality is they’re made of glass and cannot be depended on as starting QBs.