Riders to start Zach Collaros at quarterback

The Saskatchewan Roughriders will start quarterback Zach Collaros in their season-opener against the Toronto Argonauts, per sources.

Collaros gets the nod over Canadian Brandon Bridge. Head coach Chris Jones had said it was an open competition for the job and declined to name a starter after the team acquired Collaros via trade in January, throughout training camp and after the final pre-season game.

Just based on simple economics Collaros was the heavy favourite to be the starter from the get-go. He was paid $225,000 upfront upon agreeing to a reworked deal worth $430,000 in hard money on the last year of his contract. Collaros does not have any playtime incentives. Meanwhile, Bridge re-signed with the Riders for one year in December and received a $40,000 signing bonus included in the $150,000 in hard money. The Candian signal caller can earn over $110,000 more in playtime and performance bonuses.

Even though the Riders have much more invested in Collaros, Jones insisted it was an open competition at quarterback. Through training camp, it seemed to be close by most accounts. Neither Collaros or Bridge played in Saskatchewan’s first pre-season game, but the plan was for each to get two quarters in the second pre-season outing.

That went awry when the offensive line protection broke down against Calgary. Collaros went 6-of-16 for 41 yards and the Stamps knocked him around. Bridge played nine snaps completing 2-of-5 passes for 21 yards while also taking a couple shots. Jones had said the two would split time the entire way but concerns over protection led him to remove both from the game.

It will be Collaros beginning his Riders career as the starting quarterback.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (790 Articles)

116 Comments on Riders to start Zach Collaros at quarterback

1. Hope our oline is magically improved, lol. I’ve never put any stock in preseason games, so I wont this year either. Looking forward to seeing Zach back in his old form on Friday!

• Why did Chris Jones waste his time on that ridiculous “QB competition”?

It was obvious that Collaros would be the starter in Regina.

• Huff's Neighbor // June 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm //

Why do you continue to waste our time with your hatred for all things Riders. Get a girlfriend or boyfriend and take some time off. Get your head straight. Clearly you are in need of much counselling to repair your Rider obsession. Seems you slipping deeper and deeper in to despair. Must be a very sad little world you live in. Pathetic really.

• True Green // June 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm //

If you have to ask that question then you know nothing about football team management. Was it a ruse? I think so. Was there reason for it. Obviously Jones thought there was. Does he give a shitt about what you or I think? I don’t nees to answer that.

• grumblingaboutgreen // June 11, 2018 at 3:24 pm //

EXACTLY this news landed with the resounding THUDDING sound of a country saying DUH in unison. frankly i cant think of anything this CHARADE accomplished because EVERYONE saw right through it! it was too OBVIOUS with joness REFUSAL to allow the mobile BRIDGE to have any playing time behind a struggling o line which is the EXACT situation in which his athleticism would be SHOWCASED! even with the SUSPICION that the final hit collaros took had lingering REPERCUSSIONS on his health it was almost UNTHINKABLE that jones would not declare him the starter.

• Grumbling I WOULD have TO say THAT I dont AGREE with you ON this. I don’t REALLY THINK its THAT big of A deal.

• grumblingaboutgreen // June 11, 2018 at 4:05 pm //

actually maybe joness MOTIVATION in pretending it would be COMPETITIVE was to spur preseason interest among those UNFORTUNATE enough to be fans of riderhole! he couldnt snag MANZIEL despite tampering and incurring league FINES for doing so. plus carters pot trials keep getting quietly DELAYED so he is a bit short on salacious HEADLINES at the moment. joness showman IDOL pt barnum is the source of the NOTORIOUS maxim that there is no such thing as bad PUBLICITY and it wouldnt SURPRISE me to learn that jones took the message to HEART and tried to artificially spark a quarterback CONTROVERSY merely to get people talking! but when a CIRCUSMASTER is in charge such CLOWNING around should be expected!

• Swing and a miss again GrUMbLinGinCohEReNtLY – nothing has was announced today ! THUD

2. The start to a very beautiful thing. Grats to Zach. I can’t wait to watch him take us to the promise land.

• Johnny Blumpkin // June 11, 2018 at 1:04 pm //

The land of empty promises, perhaps. Capital city: Jonestown.

• Collaros will continue his incredible streak and lose his 13th straight start in week 1.

• Huff's Neighbor // June 11, 2018 at 2:09 pm //

Not going to happen. Curious, is it breeze because of the air flow between your ears?

• You obviously have not been paying attention since 2015, Huff’s Monkey. 0-13 is coming soon.

3. He will be out with injury within 3 games.

4. The season is upon us Riders. Hope this week of practice yields some positive results, and we come to play this Friday.

5. Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 12:57 pm //

If this isn’t proof Jones was lying to Bridge about there being a true QB competition, I don’t know what is!
    The guy throws 4-5 sould be INTs to Calgary’s 2nd string secondary in 1 quarter and gets hurt. Jones barely plays Bridge even though he sad he’d play half the game.
    I hardly think congratulations is in order!

• You’re a joke… Commenting on another Rider story. I think its time for you to be banned again. All you do is stir the pot. Really a useless person on this forum. Bo sure didn’t look good that first Quarter against some of our starters. We didn’t even use our starting D-line. Look out when we do.
      You obviously know nothing about the true competition. The biggest problem with Bridge is he is severely inaccurate. He doesn’t plant his feet and his throw are errant. He overthrows so bad and throws behind receivers all the time. Collaros just needs some time to gel with the offense and will be fine. He is the most complete QB of the group and will lead the team.

• Johnny Blumpkin // June 11, 2018 at 1:06 pm //

Aww, muffin. Quit taking the bait and feeding the troll… And take off the green goggles while you’re at it.

• Maybe its time you should pull those rosey red glasses off? Gonna be long year for that group.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 1:41 pm //

What indications do you have that it will be a long season for the Stamps?

• Just by the way you are talking about the Riders. Bo looked like crap this preseason.. So its going to a long season. Isn’t this how it works?

• Robe – It’s pretty evident that manyhandles is allowed here solely for the purpose of trolling everything Riders. Never gone for more than a day, and picks up right where he left off – no change whatsoever.

• Yup- It’s so damn sickening. I don’t use the term “hate” very often.. But I can safely say, I hate this loser. I would really love to meet him in real life one day. Just need to break those little fingers of his and we would finally have some peace and quiet for a bit.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 1:47 pm //

I’ve offered to meet people in a friendly, non-confrontation encounter! Haven’t I?

• I wouldn’t be meeting you for a “friendly” encounter. 🙂 As much as I would love to drive 8 hours to lay you a beating, it isn’t worth my time or money.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 2:14 pm //

Well I’m willing to meet. But, I’d go into it assuming it’s friendly. If you choose to beat on me I guess I’ll try to shield my body best I can, but there’s nothing I could do about it.

• Again you are not worth the waste of fossil fuels.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 2:32 pm //

Yet you feel the need to comment on everything I say
            🙂

• What can I say? If a mosquito is on my arm trying to suck the blood. You bet I’m going squash his stupid ass.

• BC Dave // June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm //

What if he get’s voice activated software for his computer? LOL

• So whining ain’t working now we need to hear threats? And you wheatards think that’s acceptable?

• Superby Stampeder // June 11, 2018 at 1:13 pm //

I’m not stirring the pot!
        What I said absolutely happened!

First off; Bo didn’t play well? I saw the highlights and he threw a pretty darn nice ball to Kamar Jorden for a TD in his 1 quarter. He sure didn’t throw 4-5 picks!
        Collaros was under throwing balls by 10 yards, his arm isn’t there—– Those are the words of 28 year rider color commentator Carm Carteri.

• Another handle eh loser? Thats Crazy!!! Wouldn’t believe it!
          I will restat, Bo looked like complete crap. Just because he threw ONE deep ball doesn’t make him great. You know who else could throw a deep ball? Michael Bishop. And Carm Carteri wouldn’t be bias at all? He’s just as much of a joke as you are. A lot people have absolutely no respect for that chump of commentator.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 1:50 pm //

Bo didn’t just throw a deep ball, he threw it with pin point accuracy. In 1 quarter of play! On pace, that’s a 4 TD night. You do that everynight you are a first ballot HOFer.

• Need I say it again… ONE throw. You gotta have one out of dozen throws go your way right? What did he do the first Quarter?

• Pretty sure Moncrief was in his kitchen the time he was out. Could have picked off a couple of passes.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 2:03 pm //

So if you submit Calgary is headed for a bad season based on Bo’s 1 quarter, I would ask you what the prospect is for the riders based on Collaros and Bridge’s play?

• I’m just calling it as you do. Doesn’t it make total sense?

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 2:11 pm //

RobE. That makes no sense.
            I have seen some pretty major indications that the riders will have a make season. I really haven’t with Calgary, that’s pretty hard to argue.

• Well of course it doesn’t make sense to you. I criticized your team like you did mine. Sure Zach didn’t have a great game.. But he also didn’t play since the halfway point of last year and it was his first game action with a new OC and team. But since he did, we done for the season now. Just pack it in??
            Whereas Bo played terribly.. just as bad. Having the same OC and having played a lot more recently. So going off of your theory about Collaros, Bo is going to be having a worse year then him. Am I not right?

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 2:36 pm //

It’s perfectly understandable that Zack would have some rust and need to learn with a new team, but he looked beyond rusty. He was awful, bad decisions, bad throws. Watford, Arbuckle and Brihm all raw newcomers all looked head and shoulders better than the veteran. Plus he did need help off the field onceThat’s a concern

• Well he had to collect himself after back to back to back plays where Adusei allowed his guy around him to punish Zach. That’s the problem with preseason, no continuity.
            Bo hasn’t even faced true pressure yet. He and the back up were lucky we chained up the dogs on the D-line for the night. Could have a been a very bad night for them otherwise.

• joeblow // June 11, 2018 at 2:30 pm //

Why would Red be banned for stating the truth? Collaros did not play well with the starting o-line and starting receivers in the first quarter. Bridge came in with all rookie receivers save Holley and there were substitutions on the o-line. The receiver ran an in instead of an out that lead to one of his 3 missed passes. The other two were on him. He played less than half a quarter of football. He never had an opportunity to get into any kind of rhythm.

There was never a real QB competition.

• Keep dreaming Colloras is done when he came back from the acl tear then was dumped on his head and missed 3 more games due to concussion symptoms he has never been the same i watched every game he played being a Cat fan and he is a shadow of himself he lost 12 strait and was horrible in his preseason and everyone cries O-line he has happy feet never plants anymore and cant feel pressure at all he doesn’t hit guys on the run and holds the ball way too long and i like the guy but if its your time its your time,sorry rider fans but rip away 🙂

6. Bridge has a one year contract, that likely played a hand in this as well.

7. Superby Stampeder // June 11, 2018 at 1:06 pm //

So Jones plans on playing Collaros half the game and Bridge half the game last Friday. Game starts and Jones suddenly realizes his O-line is awful. “Oh yeah I forgot about the o-line this off season”

8. Lol the troll with many handles is in full swing. They really need to use Facebook as a sign on. It will do a better job of policing the forum. Plus You will be able to pull the fake accounts out much easier. Someone with one picture and either no friends or 1 friend will be the perfect indication.

• BC Dave // June 11, 2018 at 9:17 pm //

Some people are not on facebook Rob. I don’t trust it. I do agree that there should be a different way to sign in however.

9. Elaine Ottoson // June 11, 2018 at 1:12 pm //

Sound logical to me. You start ZC to see if he can be the guy, you have to.
    Bridge is available, and CJ will not hesitate to put him in, if ZC isn’t getting it done.

• MR. Green // June 11, 2018 at 2:57 pm //

Mt thoughts too Elaine. Bridge never did enough to unseat Collaros. Jones went with the vet. We don’t k ow if a route or two was the recievers fault, either way niether was impressive in game 2. Bridge has success coming off the bench. This makes complete sense. Zack had rust and will only improve. I’m positive he will be good Friday night.

10. It’s quite obvious that when you have a $420,000 quarterback, he’s not going to be sitting on the bench. Secondly, football starts at the line of scrimmage, and the offensive line and Coach Jones have to get pass protection and run blocking rectified before the pieces fall in place. I’m disappointed with the fact that Bruce Campbell wasn’t resigned, but maybe there’s more to this story that only the CFL heads know. Anyways, let the games begin and GO RIDERS!!!

• Cousin Bruce Campbell was definitely not the answer at OT. The guy is mediocre at best. Why else do you suppose he’s always on the scrap heap?

• I don’t know where you’re going with that reply, Area 51. We saw him play the entire season and he was extremely effective — limited sacks and pressures. Maybe you sat on the sunny side of the stadium.

• And furthermore, it would take an absolutely horrendous season for Collaros not to capitalize on the $430,000 per year contract, at least, for year one. Technically, though, anything is possible.

• The mention on Collaros actually was meant in response to another blogger’s comments.

• Jack in Hamilton // June 11, 2018 at 2:04 pm //

Terran Vaughn > Bruce Campbell

11. Superby Stampeder // June 11, 2018 at 1:21 pm //

One other way to view this:
    They have already invested 1 quarter million dollars in Zach against their cap. Brandon’s contract is incentive laced. At this point of the season, not knowing how you might look Cap wise with injuries etc etc, It may be in Jones best interest not to have Bridge potentially get that incentive money.

• Not sure where you get $250,000 contract for Zach from? I thought it was $420,000 but just read it was $430,000. Regardless, Collaros’ contract is significantly higher than your mention. And you are right that Brandon Bridge’s contract is incentive laden (and substantially less). Last season, Bridge came off the bench several times when Kevin Glenn had fallen. I suspect Chris Jones would relish that same opportunity for Bridge with Collaros leading the charge.

• Take this // June 11, 2018 at 1:45 pm //

Read the article again. Collaros gets $430,000. Of that, 225,000 was paid up front. The rest has no incentives. He just has to be on the roster to get the rest.

• OK, he signed a $430,000 contract with $225,000 guaranteed with the Riders. Very few contracts nowadays have 100-percent guaranteed contracts in any professional sport. Thanks for the finer details.

• And furthermore, it would take an absolutely horrendous year for Zach Collaros to not capitalize on his $430,000 yearly contract, at least, for year one. Technically, though, anything is possible.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 2:07 pm //

I was referring the signing bonus already paid when I said they had already invested 1 quarter million. I’m sure in theory Jones would be thrilled if Bridge came off the bench and played great. But that extra $100,000.00 could really affect the CAP that the riders are probably up against.

• Why are you already flip flopping between 2 names ?

• Yup – Its actually 3 names.. possibly 4. Johnny Blumpkin “magically” vanished too once his second handle showed up.

• Can only imagine the conversations he gets into with himself. Like Jim Carey in “Me Myself and Irene” but not nearly as funny

• LMAO!!! That is my thoughts exactly. Perfect reference.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 3:01 pm //

Yeah I’m using Sun always shines at McMahon and Superbly Red today. I’ll admit it. Why not, I’m playing around with new handles for the start of the season!

• More like stock piling new handles for when you get banned. Oh that’s right….you only get removed for a few hours at a time – as trolling Riders exclusively is your agreement.

• Why do you even have more than 1 handle? Its not like you’re fooling anyone. You’re the first Stamps fan to comment on a Rider story. Every time. It’ll always be you Red. You’re an embarrassment to your fan base.

• What part of the better QB is starting do you not understand? Pretty simple concept.

12. i have yet to see where the team has confirmed this. is this dunks opinion being stated as a fact? if so maybe it should be stated as opinion or would responsible reporting go against 3downs MO?

• True Green // June 11, 2018 at 2:33 pm //

The only good thing in this entire thread is your handle!

• Where's Shultz? // June 11, 2018 at 5:35 pm //

Dunk usually has the scoop before it’s announced. Many here claim fake news and clickbait but I can’t recall a time when anything he’s said has been proven incorrect.

• Oh but Dunk doesn’t pander to the unwashed masses so he must be villified. Bo Levi is still hated because he forced the gutless CFL to finally punish cheater Jones. Truth is only accepted when it benefits the roiders.

13. Maybe Bridge will still get some playing time – and the NY Giants will sign him for 2019

• Brando Bridge has a better chance of playing for the NY Knicks than he does for the NY Giants.

He’s too inaccurate to be a starter in the CFL – – how could he ever compete against the right coverage in the NFL?

Factor in his braindead plays where he always seems to turn around and run backwards for 10yd to 15yd sacks and it’s pretty obvious the guy has no chance.

14. 14thman // June 11, 2018 at 1:57 pm //

Brandon Bridge showed great athletic ability and has a great arm. Problem is he has poor mechanics and makes too many boneheaded plays.
    Collaros showed a weakness to his arm but has the experience and mental awareness that bridge seems to lack.
    That being said, the best guy will play. I assume that if Collaros falters Bridge will b in the game.

15. Blue and True // June 11, 2018 at 2:07 pm //

Didn’t the Riders hold the Stamps to no TDS last season or something? Maybe I’m wrong but I swear the Stamps didn’t do so well especially in their last encounter. Stamps fans should simmer down with how good they think they are. Just ask my Boatmen – the actual Champs who come to play when it matters!

• Lol thank you. Finally a fellow logical fan.

• Looking forward to Friday Blue. Hoping my Riders play better against the Champs than they did against the Chumps.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 3:02 pm //

you are referring to you inter squd game last Saturday I see

• Blue and True // June 11, 2018 at 3:13 pm //

@ Sun Shine Girl. No, I’m referring to two games last season where your team struggled against the Riders and didn’t score any TDs. That’s the past, but I just wanted to bring that up because you seem to have an incredibly arrogant comment history.

• Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 4:04 pm //

lol
            You love bringing that up don’t you?
            Why do you never acknowledge the fact that you still lost a game that we scored no TD’s?

• Blue and True // June 11, 2018 at 4:28 pm //

Sun Shine you are messed up man. I’m done with you and so should this website be because you’re a a cancer on here.

• MR. Green // June 11, 2018 at 3:30 pm //

Me too Yup. Starting the season against the defending champs is a big challenge. Ray and company will be tough. They have a solid team in all 3 phases. I pick expect Toronto to win the East. Will be interesting to see them as Toronto rested most of thier starters in both preseason games. We hope the have game rust, however not counting on it.

16. MR. Green // June 11, 2018 at 3:13 pm //

Last week’s game gave Collaros and Bridge things to work on. Like most starters, I’m sure the playbook was restricted. I’m sure nerves also were heavy on also the pressure he put on himself (Collaros), being with a new team, especially in the fishbowl of CFL football. I expect that fire to be stoked even more for game 1. I hope he doesn’t need to look over his shoulder if he starts slow, and gets time to make plays. I think Messam and Mason will see lots of work early to settle him in.

17. HamTownTiger // June 11, 2018 at 4:31 pm //

Riders are gonna be fine. Christ its the CFL and look how the Stamps have done when it counts, nada! They got gifted a grey cup on a phantom call and think they have a dynasty or something LOL. There’s one fan on here who is so delusional it’s painful reading what he has to say. Someone just off that guy in. Calgary already, you’d be doing his family a favour.

18. MR. Green // June 11, 2018 at 5:14 pm //

According to local media, Jones never officially named Collaros the starter today, although apparently Collaros did take the majority of first team reps.

19. Keep dreaming Colloras is done when he came back from the acl tear then was dumped on his head and missed 3 more games due to concussion symptoms he has never been the same i watched every game he played being a Cat fan and he is a shadow of himself he lost 12 strait and was horrible in his preseason and everyone cries O-line he has happy feet never plants anymore and cant feel pressure at all he doesn’t hit guys on the run and holds the ball way too long and i like the guy but if its your time its your time,sorry rider fans but rip away

20. Pennyrocker // June 11, 2018 at 6:40 pm //

Funny thing happened with the Riders today. Jones did not say who was Starting Friday as of yet. Read Riderville news.

21. Sun always shines at McMahon // June 11, 2018 at 6:48 pm //

He taking the first string reps, so it looks to be the case.
    Unless Bridge takes first team snaps tomorrow, which would make me laugh

22. Provemewrong // June 11, 2018 at 6:48 pm //

I think that Colloras has the ability to be a starting QB, but like Nichols, Lulay, and even Dunigan, staying healthy is a problem. But we will see. Though I picked Toronto to will in CFL Pick “Em.

23. Ari Katz // June 11, 2018 at 7:53 pm //

I like Zach but he had lost his skill set and most importantly he is losing the mental game that was has to excel at in order to be successful. CFL record for losses will be established by Collaros in this game. A brutal offensive line is not the path to Collaros regaining his confidence which was lost ages ago. His leadership skills have also disappeared with his loss of the mental game. He is way too scared of “the next hit” and what happened last Friday night has done nothing to alleviate these concerns.

• AMEN AMEN AMEN, but JUNK cant get it through his Ticat colored eyes that ABETROS is DONE !!!! I feel bad for Zac, was realy pulling for him but other then good first week in camp he has regressed to what you have described. All one can hope is that the get some junk time in a game , gets a bit of confidence that way and can step in if Bridge goes down. Unless a major miracle occurs , the riders will go as far as Bridge takes them. But still hopeful Zac stays and learns, get some confidence bak , is worth something in a trade back east, the man deserves to feed himself and his family playing agame he loves .

• Philski // June 12, 2018 at 3:13 am //

Totally agree.

24. Edward Leslie // June 11, 2018 at 8:23 pm //

Provemewrong:
    I like Collaros, but I’m starting to have doubts about him. He doesn’t have the escapability or size of Bridge. Plus his injuries have obviously taken a toll.
    He has that horrendous losing streak that is mearing a record too.
    In fact, his last win with Hamilton, one of his team mates was Angelo Mosca.

25. Colour me green // June 11, 2018 at 10:15 pm //

Wait 4 days and all will be answered.

26. DUNK what a bunch of absolute BS , if I was Jones I would sue your Professional read end . Jones has said a DECISION will be made later this week , YOUR putting words in his mouth JA. I cant explain how UNPROFESSIONAL your article is , what a trash junk journalist you are hope JONES sues ya!!!

27. Rider4life // June 11, 2018 at 11:41 pm //

Rider34 your right as I talked to a few rider players today none of them know who’s starting Friday at qb. Even all the interviews with coach jones he won’t be saying till Wed or Thursday as keeping pressure on the qbs to give a 100 percent as I think jones will go with who looks the best this week at practice. Jones still thinks Zac rusty and also mentioned BB came in when kg wasn’t doing anything and performed well. I think BB will start first quarter and then bring in Zac. Just a thought. Oh forgot SUN ALWAYS SHITTING ON MACHON WASN’T IT THE LAST 2 GAMES BO DIDN’T THROW A TD AGAINST SASK LAST YEAR OH SHIT I’M WRONG HE THREW 1 TO DC LMAO THAT ONE GREAT THROW FROM NO LMAO

28. 1 Edmonton
    2 BC
    3 Calgary
    4 Winnipeg
    5 Sask

29. 1 Toronto
    2 Hamilton
    3 Montreal
    4 Ottawa

30. White Horse // June 12, 2018 at 6:27 pm //

I think Robe should be banned from this site with his disgusting post. You rider fans blame sunny mcmahon for the antagonism but you all should look in the mirror. Just ignore his posts if you can!!! Stop being so thin skin.

• YES YES YES ban RobE please. Threats should not be tolerated. Maybe that baby YUP could report it for us.

31. Pennyrocker // June 12, 2018 at 6:51 pm //

I love Jones in love hate relationship. You got to love him when he tells the press to mind their business when it comes to state QB for Friday.

32. Sun always shines at McMahon // June 12, 2018 at 7:16 pm //

Jones basically did this all last season, wouldn’t name a starter. You want to know why? Because he has no idea himself! He has no f****** clue! Whoever makes the last nice pass on the practice week gets the start.

33. I guess if my team stole a coach who is utterly and completely incompetent as a GM I’d be as sour as you all, but waaaaay less crybabyish.