Argos QB Ricky Ray leaves game with injury on cart, transported to hospital

Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray went down on the BMO Field turf and took a while to get up.

During the third quarter of the Argos Week 2 game against the Calgary Stampeders, Ray was chased down from behind by Stamps defensive lineman Ja’Gared Davis, tackled and made contact with Cordarro Law as well, immediately reaching for his helmet. Play was stopped for more than 10 minutes as trainers and doctors attended to Ray, who had his neck isolated before being put on a stretcher.

Ray won a record fourth Grey Cup in 2017 that capped a comeback season when the veteran passer threw for 5,546 yards, his highest total since 2008, while missing just one game last season.

The 38-year-old passed for 233 yards and one interception in Toronto’s Week 1 loss to Saskatchewan. Ray was 12-of-17 for 74 yards after exiting the game against Calgary.

Ray was taken to a Toronto hospital afterwards, but a club official said it was purely for precautionary reasons.

“He’ll get an MRI and those type of things, but I’m encouraged by what the doctors had to say,” Toronto head coach Marc Trestman said. “But I’m not a doctor so we’ll have to wait until the medical information is in, but I’m going to be optimistic at this point.”

-with CP files

62 Comments on Argos QB Ricky Ray leaves game with injury on cart, transported to hospital

1. Sir Dropsalot // June 23, 2018 at 9:11 pm //

We are all praying for Ricky Ray

• doobzacheria // June 24, 2018 at 1:45 am //

Agreed. Hoping for the best for Ricky. I had the game on in the background, and was singing a goofy made-up lyrics song along with the music in my video game to myself. I looked over. I think that was one of the quickest times I’ve ever went from a joyous grin to a look of Oh Effin No seeing Ray on a stretcher in a neck brace. I wish that on no one and pray it’s not a serious injury.

2. White Horse // June 23, 2018 at 9:14 pm //

I am a R RAY fan but this score is total example of the Agos and Stamps 2017 Grey Cup. Argos did not win the 2017 GC… Stamps lost the 2017 Cup. Stamps handed the Cup to the Argos.

3. Man, who cares about the game right now. One of the CFL’s all time greatest was just carted off the field with what looks to be a serious, possibly career ending injury.

Praying for you Ricky

4. Rider fan // June 23, 2018 at 9:21 pm //

The regular season champions look good. I hope Ray is ok and it was all precautionary.

• Blackhawk89 // June 23, 2018 at 9:24 pm //

Your class act using a serious Injury to a player to take a shot at another team , what a goof

5. Peter North // June 23, 2018 at 9:24 pm //

Ricky should of called it a career after last season. Hope he is alright, one of the best of all time to play at his position.

6. ArgoDiva // June 23, 2018 at 9:24 pm //

Right Andrew. Who the hell cares about the game last November at a time like this? Get your bloody priorities straight White Horse.

7. Shannon // June 23, 2018 at 9:25 pm //

Praying for Ricky Ray!

8. Terrible injury, bad way to end a bad game for the Argos.
    They go 0 – 2 don’t know which team is worse right now Als or Argos

• No contest there – Larks take the prize for the worst team even though the boatmen haven’t looked great in their first two starts. But they do have Trestman and Franklin to fill in at QB.

Wishing for the best outcome for Ray. Terrible way to have to leave the game.

9. Get well soon Ricky Ray. I hope it was all precautionary. Stamps looking like them usual selves. Bo back to being Bo.

10. I am an ardent Ticat fan but I am praying for Ricky Ray right now.

11. Hate to see this happen to any player.Hoping Ray’s injury not serious and staff was just being cautious. Looking forward to see this Hall of Famer play my TiCats at the Labour Day Classic. Get well, Ricky!

12. White Horse // June 23, 2018 at 9:47 pm //

Here in Southern CALIF, I can only get CFL play by play. Do not know injury to Ricky. I have always been a fan of his because he spent most of his career in Edm….I sincerely hope Ricky is OK.

13. Bart Andrus second down punter // June 23, 2018 at 9:55 pm //

I remember being at Mosaic when AC was carted off with a career ending concussion. Watching one of the all time greats leave possibly for the last time, not under his own terms is gut wrenching. I hope he comes back and leaves when he wants to.

• Yes, I remember that devastating hit that careered AC Calvillo – – driven right into the turf, never to be seen again.

• Calvillo had hit rock bottom by that point. He couldn’t complete a pass and the Alouettes had started floundering BEFORE Calvillo left the field.
        Calvillo’s career was over WAY before that hit by Foley.

The devastation was that Adrian McPherson had left the team the offseason before, and the Alouettes QB succession was entirely broken by the time Calvillo was injured. Unless anyone counts Troy Smith. Ugh.

It has been that way ever since…largely thanks to Calvillo’s refusal to allow any backup ANY time on the field as player, and his truly pathetic performance at offensive coordinator.

Let’s not re-write history, OK?

• Tiger man // June 25, 2018 at 8:51 am //

There was no succession plan for Calvillo’s departure.

Equpping backups with clipboards does NOTHING to prepare them.

Popp had put all his eggs in the AC basket.

Calvillo was asked about mentoring another QB as he was by Tracy Ham. He refused.

Singular attitudes all around.

This is why they failed and are still floundering.

14. Ricky Ray is a tough ol bugger. Dunnigan was saying he shouted prayers to him, and Ray waved at him.

Very scary moment, and the medical staff took every precaution necessary. I have no doubt there will be positive news on his condition soon.

Prayers for a speedy recovery Ricky.

15. john gatti // June 23, 2018 at 10:29 pm //

Manziel to Toronto.

• Manziel to Montreal.
      Just ONE quarterback is all we need.
      ONE.
      Is that so much to ask?

• Tiger man // June 25, 2018 at 8:44 am //

Yes it is.

Hire a real scouting staff and invest time to develop one and you may HAVE one in time

Masoli was in Hamilton for 6 years before he got to start.

Laziness on your part, should be work for the rest of us.

• Why? Argos are just fine at QB.

• Tiger man // June 25, 2018 at 8:46 am //

For what in return???

16. BigRedMachine // June 23, 2018 at 10:35 pm //

Good luck to Ricky. Encouraging to see motion in legs and arms. Hope all is precautionary and we see him bac on the field.

17. Hoping it is nothing serious. Hate to see injuries. We always tend to think f the team and sometimes the individual but we tend to forget the impact it can have on his personal life, family etc. I love the game but it is cruel game at times, both the business end and on the field.

18. Blue rules // June 23, 2018 at 10:40 pm //

Hopefully just being overly cautious on field, have a speedy and complete recovery Mr. Ray

19. Blue rules // June 23, 2018 at 10:42 pm //

White, your an a$$

20. Jeremiah was a Bullfrog // June 23, 2018 at 11:03 pm //

Hope Ricky is ok. Seriously!
    But! Come on Rticky you could have retired a Grey Cup Champ. You could have gone out like Burris. On top… yet I see an exit like Anthony Calvillo!
    I’m sorry that your hurt but your head and your bones are not getting softer. Save yourself Ricky. You don’t need Concussions or a broken neck at this point in your life. Leave the game to the younger guys for crying out loud.

21. I hope he is okay. That looked scary and I hope Toronto Western took care of him!

White Horse you are a POS lo$er. The entire article is about the injury and you whine about last November?

22. The Blitzkreig nickle back // June 24, 2018 at 12:37 am //

After seeing white horses comments I am one hoping that he breaks his leg in a gopher hole. We know what happens to horses who break their leg.

23. Get well Ricky; you are one of the all-time CFL greats. CTE is real and you have a wife and kids, think of your life after football. You have accomplished all that there is to accomplish in the CFL and you need to prove nothing, it is simply time for you to retire given all of the above considerations.

24. From my view, Ricky Ray got sandwiched, and it looks like it might have been a head hit. I didn’t see him move at all while lying on the ground, and it is good to hear after I got home that he did move his arms and legs, and talk to the doctor.
    All the best to him, a great quarterback; and from what I understand, a good person.

25. Pennyrocker // June 24, 2018 at 1:13 am //

Nasty hit Ricky took looked like he took a shoulder pad to the head.

The medics did a great job on the field took their time in moving Ricky.

RICKY May you have a speedy recovery and no serious injuries. In God’s hand may he heal.

26. Always concerning to see a guy get stretchered off immobilized on a back board, but fortunately it’s not a serious injury for Ricky Ray.

Argos really need to do something about Will Campbell at LT – – Charlie Hughes was blowing past him untouched last week for THREE (3) sacks.

It was the exact same situation – – DE totally untouched – – on the play that knocked out Ricky Ray this time.

Argo braintrust needs to get Campbell out of the LT spot before a QB gets seriously injured.

27. I was getting ready to go out for dinner and missed the hit only to return and see Ray down and the look on some players that bordered on alarm. Bo Levi really looked shaken up and that was one of the first I saw making me thing the worst.

I do take them at their word this is more precaution than anything.

28. mr62cats // June 24, 2018 at 8:27 am //

Just a heads up about the first sentence of this post. Ricky Ray did NOT “take a while to get up”. He was carried off on a stretcher!
    I wish him the best. I just read a CBC story quoting Marc Trestman as saying doctors are optimistic about Ray being able to recover from the injury.He has certainly provided CFL fans with a ton of excitement with his play over the years.

29. Oskee Wee Wee // June 24, 2018 at 8:54 am //

I am a Ticats fan, But let’s all pray for Ricky! He is and has been an amazing All-Star QB with good sportsmanship for his whole career. Wish you all the best Ricky! #PrayforRicky

30. Ricky is our leader, he has done so much for Toronto….let’s pray

31. Crusty but real // June 24, 2018 at 10:25 am //

Like 99.9% of all of you. I too am praying to send positive energy to Ricky for a positive outcome.
    When people come together and pray properly by combining positive energy. That has a far more reality if doing anything than those on here praying to a deity. Hoping that some where or some how an immortal can step in and make things better??? Come on man, really!!!
    If some of you are just using religious over tones because you think it sounds endearing. You are incorrect.
    I honestly thought today’s younger generation were really smart. I may have to rethink that.
    Ricky will pull through and hopefully reconsider his career. He’s not on the right team to help prolong his talent. That Argo team is going to have to bite, scratch and tear just to get to respectability. That’s too hard for an athlete like Ricky. He has everything you need except his youth.
    Here is hoping that Franklin can step in and actually bring the offence together with his young and enthusiastic rhythm.
    Good luck Franklin and heal well Mr. Ray.

32. Blue rules // June 24, 2018 at 11:42 am //

Crusty, how dare you tell people tell people how to pray or not to pray or pray better like you do! That makes you a crusty hippocrate.
    As for me, never once have I used the term pray for anybody here or anywhere else. I’m not religious in any way but many people close to me are! I respect every one for their own choices regardless of what religion they are or are not, how they pray and in which manner they pray is their own prerogative. I Suggest you ask for forgiveness and direction.

• Crusty etc….
      You can pray, not pray – – it’s cool. What I think is out of place is the constant ‘God and prayers stuff’ on TSN. A national broadcaster shouldn’t be yammering on about God for 20 mins. I felt like I was at a Southern bible camp. You can hope for the best for Ricky Ray without bringing God into it on national television.

33. Glue Factory // June 24, 2018 at 12:02 pm //

As usual manyhandles details the thread. Humboldt and Durant ring a bell? I hope RR returns soon and is able to leave the game on his own terms. Reilly and Ray are the tops in the league, as players and as professionals.

34. Sir Gallahan of the Prairies // June 24, 2018 at 1:06 pm //

When I read the comment section here on 3DownNation. There are some really good comments with great insight. Then of course we read the ones that are ridiculous and very juvenile.
    I have to agree with an earlier comment that the mention of religion or those comments that have religious over tones is strange and gives an uncomfortable feeling. Shucks, even during the post game interviews on Friday night when Hamilton’s QB Jeremiah Masoli answered questions. To answer the first question Masoli started out hard and heavy giving praise to his deity. I found that extremely uncomfortable.
    It’s funny that people will stand up to those who use their position to make a political statement during the National Anthem. Yet not say anything about those who use their platform to speak about their religious beliefs.
    I’m sorry but they are both wrong.
    As a league that is working hard to make it fair for everyone. That awesome CFL TV commercial showing what our league is made of. You know; the Reeds and Alliminiums. The Arceneauxs and the Muambas and so on. Our wonderful Canadian football league reflects numerous cultures, backgrounds, ethnicity, and experiences. I think many on here would be uncomfortable if each player from different parts of the world started giving praise to their higher power during their post game interview We all know that Christianity is not the only religion. Everyone has a right to believe or have faith in what ever they want. I don’t feel one on one interviews or anywhere in the CFL should anyone speak about their deities.
    Right now there is talk about whether or not the National Anthem should be played at professional games. So why not talk about whether or not Religion should be a part of the interviews.
    I’m sorry Blue rules I mean no disrespect at all. But I kind of agree with Crusty. His comments could have presented it better. But his names states he’s keeping it real.

• Blue rules // June 24, 2018 at 2:15 pm //

Sir, No disrespect taken, my very point is I respect everyone for their choice, you as well, I only found it heavy handed when someone mocks the way in which a person preys, then tell them to prey like himself/herself. I welcome all personal thoughts on the subject. On a personal note, because I’m not religious I find all pray of no value, however if pray give you comfort I respect that too.

35. Pennyrocker // June 24, 2018 at 1:34 pm //

Those that push their own faith are weak in faith themselves.

I know there is a power far greater than myself and was proven in action more than words.
    To pray is to speak to that power you may call God. To ask for help for others is very unselfish. I also don’t care what you call your power because it is not my business as long as it does not interfere with my beliefs or way of life

36. 3rd & 1 // June 24, 2018 at 2:53 pm //

Exactly, we respect everyone’s rights, beliefs and cultures. Yet do not want Lotuko players with heritage from Africa thanking Ajok or players with heritage from India thanking Brahma the creator during post game interviews. So why do we accept players praising the Christian God.
    Yes North America was founded and built on a Christian foundation. However the borders have been opened and all people and all religions have been welcomed. So it’s probably best now for professional athletes to do their praying away from their profession.
    I agree that it is very uncomfortable when it’s spoken during a short question period about the game.
    I think Massolli is a very good athlete and is going to be a very good CFL QB. As a football fan of the CFL. That’s all I want to know about him. We do not need to know his personal life.

37. RiderPriderBCSux // June 25, 2018 at 2:09 am //

Why is Calgary even part of this Ricky Ray discussion? Of course there will be the odd arrogant Stumps fan here who is ignorant about why Calgary is irrelevant! And if there are those who are offended by the reality that prayer brings great results, I feel sorry for you. We have become so fearful of what we say that we say only what we feel the need to say while trying to keep politically correct. If it wasn’t for prayer how many of us would still be here?