Riders QB Brandon Bridge gets it

No, this isn’t a piece about how the Riders should give Brandon Bridge the keys and let him actually be the starting quarterback for this team until Zach Collaros returns from injury. (Even though that should happen, but that’s another story.)

I want to write about Brandon Bridge the person.

It stems from a great story reported by Cami Kepke of Global Regina. As it details, the Kuntz family was celebrating the return of a family member at a local chain restaurant from a trip abroad when Bridge walked in. Obviously, everyone noticed and the kids at the table eventually mustered up the courage to ask for an autograph. Grandma got to chat with Bridge, his girlfriend and offensive lineman Josiah St. John, who were ordering take out. It’s such a CFL story.

This would have been enough to make most fans night. Expect, there was more. Bridge also picked up the tab for the party of nearly 30 people.

By CFL and non-sports world standards, Bridge makes pretty decent money, but it’s not much compared to the rest of the pro-sports world. No one would have ever expected Bridge to open his wallet for a table for two that he wasn’t sitting at, let alone such a large party. But he did it.

What this tells us is that Bridge gets it. He sees himself as more than just someone who plays football in this province.

Ever since he’s arrived in Saskatchewan he’s done all of the little things right. He’s a prototypical CFLer who understands the importance of fans. He’s always made himself available to Rider Nation and the fans have repaid him in spades by making him one of the more popular players in the Chris Jones era.

Really, this shouldn’t be all that surprising. Bridge has always believed he’s a part of something bigger. Last season when he routinely came off the bench to replace Kevin Glenn, as the spotlight found it’s way to Bridge, he quickly turned it to Canadian quarterbacks counting toward the ratio. Bridge always talked big picture, he wants to set up the next generation of potential Canadian quarterbacks for success.

These are just the stories we’ve heard about too.

No matter what happens on the field for Bridge during the rest of his time in Saskatchewan and the CFL, there’s no question that his impact will be felt.

Even if the rules for Canadian quarterbacks don’t change, at the very least, he made a family’s night and that’s awesome.

Joel Gasson

Joel Gasson

Joel Gasson is a Regina-based sports writer, broadcaster and football fanatic.
Joel Gasson
Joel Gasson
About Joel Gasson (180 Articles)
Joel Gasson is a Regina-based sports writer, broadcaster and football fanatic.

142 Comments on Riders QB Brandon Bridge gets it

1. Former Rider fan // July 14, 2018 at 3:16 pm //

He’s in a rough spot with Stephen McAdoo as OC.

• Eskssuck // July 14, 2018 at 3:24 pm //

Hope you didnt hurt yourself falling off the bandwagon.

• Who was his OC when he had all his success last year and broke out as a potential starting QB? Oh yeah, that was Stephen McAdoo.

• Jaren Jackson was in charge of the passing game design. He was a huge loss this year.

• And the tremendous success of Jackson with Jonathan Jennings in BC is a clear testament to that. I assume.

2. What a class act….

3. Just saying // July 14, 2018 at 3:24 pm //

It’s all about marketing, and Bridge is in the need for serious support. People (not me) are calling for his head. Although this is not a football story it will help his overall appeal to the masses.

• Sixbeamers // July 14, 2018 at 3:44 pm //

“It’s all about marketing . . .” What a cynical response from Just Saying. Did Bridge’s agent orchestrate this good deed, then arrange for reporters and cameras to be there and record the stunt for a public relations advantage? Doesn’t appear so.
      Hard as it is for some to believe, there are people out there who don’t always buy into the what’s-in-it-for-me angle. They get a kick from being spontaneously generous to others, paying it forward. Are you able to wrap your head around that concept?

• It’s not a good deed. These people could, and were planning on paying their own bill. No one’s life is enriched or bettered, other than Grandma and Grandpa having saved a few hundred dollars.

• kind of like levis michelle pretends to be a good guy in the public eye, same level of greed

• I could have a million dollars in my pocket and someone buy’s me dinner i apreciate it. Take it for what it is he had a good interaction with them so he paid for their dinner.

• Payment for good interactions are what “ladies of the night” are for.
            It’s not for giving to families who happen to be your fans.

• It’s about time you got a new IP and user name. You’re out of control with stupidity

• Bridge loves the fans so much that he picked up a huge dinner tab of a family of fans.

Stamps don’t even get recognized. Man Calgary sucks

• As it turns out, “Grandma and Grandpa” donated the equivalent of their bill to the local food bank in Brandon Bridge’s name. So quite a few people’s lives were both enriched and bettered.

• BigRedMachine // July 15, 2018 at 12:34 pm //

Stop being a horse’s ass…

4. Manypersonalities didn’t respond 1st?! Hands most be busy

• likely out trying to find some complete strager he can buy lunch for.

Or early afternoon shift driving the ice cream truck.

5. Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 3:49 pm //

Again, I don’t why this is being treated as a philanthropic endeavor.
    This was opportunistic and brings praise when none is really deserved. Call it “nice” if you want, but this is a well to do family, easily able to pay for this dinner. In my experience, Grandpa was probably paying the bill.
    Sharing niceties with the family is all that should have occurred. This was inappropriate and family may feel somewhat uncomfortable with this. I know I would if Bo Levi Mitchell or any stranger for that matter, was suddenly paying for my meal.
    The movie ticket controversy with Duron Carter was bad too, although those people at least showed up willingly for the freebie.
    I hope revenue Canada is watching in case the riders organization is “reimbursing” this philanthropy.

Next time, I’d encourage Brandon to round up some players and take out a group of disadvantaged families for meals or volunteer at the local soup kitchen.

• “I know I would if Bo Levi Mitchell or any stranger for that matter, was suddenly paying for my meal”

Says the guy who only yesterday, was trying to buy complete strangers a meal and 4 drinks on this very site.

What a maroon!

• Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm //

Fair point,,,,but there are differences.
        First off; I’m not a high profile person, who plays for the most popular business in the province. Second; I was inviting someone out for a meal, not snatching the bill of a stranger.

• And if you knew anything about this. The family was not the least bit uncomfortable, and although surprised – were very appreciative of the kind gesture.

As a result of his thoughtfulness, the family opted to pay it forward and donate the money they would have spent ton a good cause. Win, Win – yet your hatred exceeds any amount of common sense.

• Well that’s great! It turned out well…….this time and in this particular case.
            Of course Brandon could have just donated the money to charity in the first place!

• Puck Hog // July 14, 2018 at 4:23 pm //

Differences? Bridge bought this family a meal out of the goodness of his heart. You, on the other hand, made a creepy offer to buy a stranger supper, 4 drinks, and game tickets for god-knows-what in return. And you say you would feel uncomfortable if Bo bought you dinner! Time for you to find a new site to wreck.

• Your stupidity is beyond comprehension. Your closet love for this team is painful. The comments actually make me laugh at this point.

6. Would be a nice gesture if someone would buy Monty a sandwich.

7. Further, what kind of precedence does this set?
    If a rider player enters a restaurant is he now expected to pay for the house? Next year, should you forward on your property tax bill to Charleston Hughes?
    Should rider players throw 20’s into the crowd after every game?

• MR. Green // July 14, 2018 at 4:24 pm //

Settle down Meatloaf. No need to overeact.

• Puck Hog // July 14, 2018 at 4:25 pm //

Better move on to Shrink number 6. The first 5 have been ineffective.

• Seriously? Don’t be generous because then EVERYONE will have to do it? Wow.

Bridge did something nice for some fans. Period.

Bye the bye. It’s what “precedent” does this set. Not “precedence”. Not “president”.

• Sixbeamers // July 15, 2018 at 12:08 pm //

By the way, Mr. Grammarian, the expression is “ by the by.” Not “bye the bye.”

8. I can’t believe none of you are willing to see the inappropriateness of this situation

• It’s called a random act of kindness tool box. People doing nice things for others is not a new concept here on earth.

• if it was bo levis michelle you would have been “oh what a great deed” trust me everyone stampeding tries to set up meetings with people in here, for example “meet me at tbe bar in an hour” then he doesnt show like the coward he is….need we say more about many handles

• I’m content to see Bo Levi’s character express itself in Grey Cup losses. Just like Anthony Calvillo. On 2nd thought, every one of THOSE 5 losses REALLY pissed me off.

• Green&Gold // July 14, 2018 at 4:48 pm //

I’ve seen Reilly do this same thing in Edmonton. What’s wrong with it. I applaud him for the nice gesture.

• Ridersrule // July 14, 2018 at 5:04 pm //

Just the fact that you think it was inappropriate explains a lot .

• True Green // July 14, 2018 at 5:23 pm //

Inappropriate? How do you come up with this? Bridge bought a family their dinner. That’s it, very simple. None of them care what you think. Don’t make it into something it isn’t. No one called it an act of charity or anything other than a nice gesture.

You’re such a classless act that in an earlier lost your stated “in my experience grandma would be paying the bill”. Really? You’d go out for a family meal and let your grandma pay the bill?

The only thing I agree with Joel about is that Bridge gets it. Jerry, you do not.

• Why do you keep calling me Jerry?

I have been out for large family dinners a few times and my Grandparents generously paid the bill, it was appreciated (and quite frankly, they could well afford it). We didn’t have to fawn over then either!

• Sixbeamers // July 14, 2018 at 5:41 pm //

Stampeding thinks too much. Accept Bridge’s action for what it is — a nice, thoughtful gesture — and move on. You need a real problem to worry about.

• What is inappropriate is 99.9% of your comments on here. Get a clue.

9. Athletes often do it loser. Jarome Iginla did it a lot. I guess he’s got his priorities all wrong.

• dif is iginla was a class human being and loved the cities he played for, it was his way to pay back

• And Bridge isn’t?

• bridge is a class act too, just stamp is saying its no big deal but if it was levis michelle he would be commenting what a world class guy and on and on

• Bo is a world class guy. He has his own charity and does a lot locally. If he has done what Bridge just did, that would not be included in is world class ranking.

• Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 4:57 pm //

If athletes often do this, why is this a story????????

• Clearly it’s to give you a platform to spread your toxic Rider hatred. Now – I’m going to break this down for you.

– Locate lower lip
        – Pull lower lip completely over your head. (that’s the dense air mass occupying space on your shoulders)
        – Swallow.

10. No Probs with it….it’s done all the time

11. Random acts of kindness are to be applauded! Well done Bridge!

12. There is a famous poet and humanitarian name Maya Angelou who once said: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
    Clearly Bridge didn’t wake up that morning with the intention of buying a meal for a family. But he was made to feel a certain way when this family fawned over him. This feeling compelled him to take this action and it’s not right.
    When athletes start giving money to fans based on a certain level of deification, we are completely destroying ourselves as a society.

13. Singleton did it not so long ago. Great job by him and Bridge. And Reilly

14. Good on him too!!!

15. True Blue // July 14, 2018 at 5:33 pm //

Not sure how someone takes a negative from a story like that. Team loyalty aside any fan appreciation like this should be applauded. Especially in the CFL players need strong fan support and things like this will have a payoff in many ways. Not an act to take shots at in my opinion.

16. Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm //

Yes, fan appreciation is a good thing! Teams hold events for that.
    Calgary, for example, holds Fan fest a week or 2 before camp starts, there are giveaways, free food, activities, a change for players and fans in intermingle and thank each other.
    They also have a fan appreciation game, coincidental that is next Saturday!

Players can also give back by doing charitable things, that make the community, and society, better as a whole.

Giving money to certain fans does no good.

17. solara2000 // July 14, 2018 at 5:52 pm //

Why does every story on this blog end up as a hair-pulling, nail-scratching fight between Rider and Stamps fans. Let it go! You ruin the experience for everyone else.

• I don’t think we are fighting at all. We have a difference of opinion and are expressing our points

• Green&Gold // July 14, 2018 at 6:09 pm //

So you disapprove of some Stampeders players doing this same thing in the past then?

• All circumstances being the same, yes I would disapprove.

• There’s no hope G&G. If you say blue he’s says yellow….

On another note. Good win last night in less than favorable conditions.

• Green&Gold // July 14, 2018 at 6:24 pm //

Yeah. The weather was bad, and Toronto almost pulled it out again. Reilly has to be sure today. He took a few good hits. The guy puts his body out there.

• No other QB can take the licks he does, and get back up.

• Blue rules // July 14, 2018 at 6:41 pm //

Hey, Yup what gives. Why bring me into the conversation! And who the #ell is yellow? Lol

• fannotacoach // July 14, 2018 at 6:43 pm //

And to be noted, Wilder’s stats were no where near off the charts. As shown by other teams as well, his effectiveness can be neutralized.
            Good on the Eskies.

• Honestly think most of Wilders yards last year came from 3 or 4 runs that he broke for long ones. Not saying he’s a bad back, but as you say – he can be neutralized.

• Sorry Blue, didn’t mean to being you into this. Call the lawyers off ?

• Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 6:41 pm //

First off, I never said Bridge was “No good” for doing it.
          Second, unless you can give proof of Singleton doing this, it’s anecdotal.

• Green&Gold // July 14, 2018 at 6:48 pm //

Where did I say that you said Bridge was no good?

• MR. Green // July 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm //

Quit contradicting, fool. You say Carter inviting people to movies is wrong, like you posted above. Yet you invite people out and offer free coffee and lunch and tickets to games. Difference, no one cares to share a table or seat by you. Out in the world people do these random acts of kindness all the time. In your world, greed and selfishness rule.

18. MR. Green // July 14, 2018 at 6:58 pm //

I guarantee if Bo and Singleton saw this fool posting jibberish, especially an act of kindness, they would call him a loser. Hey scrub, Bo thinks you’re a tool.
    I heard this family is paying it forward. Something this world needs. Not negative rejects like this terrorist.

19. Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 7:09 pm //

@ Green&Gold
    “That no good Singleton. What was he thinking?”
    That implies that I consider someone part taking in this is no good.
    In my mind

20. Blue rules // July 14, 2018 at 7:24 pm //

I’ve paid for strangers meals in the past, No real reason needed. Perhaps they reminded me of my grandparents, grandchildren or just because.
    I guess I must be some kind of crazy person. Unlike somebody who desperately offers to buy total strangers coffee, meals, tickets… Total strangers???? I mean people you insult, argue, troll, annoy. hourly, daily weekly, monthly & yearly…… sounds like someone wants to buy a friend….. maybe change your attitude!!

• Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 7:42 pm //

Did the people who remind you of your grandparents, grandchildren or just because, come up to you and fawn at you first? Were they fans of yours?
      Cut the insults, you speak of the virtues of these random acts of kindness, yet any gesture I make is oout of craziness………………some humanitarian you are.

• MR. Green // July 14, 2018 at 8:10 pm //

You want insults to stop. You start every damn insult in a demeaning way to the Riders, players, staff and people of Saskatchewan.
        Normal people can make trash talk and be respectful and carry on a conversation. You take it to a level of insoletness.
        You do realize not one person here likes or respects you. Drew and Justin included.
        When you are banned and gone, every article we talk about pertains to the subject. Replies are respectful. The site is so much better. You are a POS.
        Why on God’s earth does my teenage daughter have to die and a loser like you still breathe our air? You better stop this crap now and learn how to socialize like a normal person.

• I get it know … it is just that you’re cheap!!!

Can’t stand someome acting nice and you not being the beneficiary!

LOL don’t lose it man, it is just a joke.

• Blue rules // July 14, 2018 at 8:38 pm //

Let me play your game! I never anything towards you, Stampeding. I was speaking in general about all the bad sport celebrities I’ve read so much about on this thread! Like Bridge as an example.

21. And it’s Blue rules, for the win! Cheers

22. Let Brandon Bridge find his legs. He will hit his stride at some point. Support him as he grows as a quarterback. Hopefully the coaches design plays that are suited to his natural talent. He will be fine. So please support him.
    Be patient, be a true Rider fan. Not a band wagon fan.

23. Backside shoulder // July 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm //

This is a good gesture and brings the league into a positive light.
    I remember back in 2003-2004, I was at a restaurant in Calvary with some friends. We sat by some Stampeders players and talked for a bit and our tab was covered. We didn’t ask for it, and we could afford it.
    This was before social media and before it was picked up by the media outlets. It’s just appreciated and we paid it forward by donating our bill amount to a local charity.
    The sport needs these kinds of after stories with guys like Brandon Browner, and LeSean McCoy bringing their antics being front and centre.

• Well one time I was in Regina. I was broken down on the side of the road. A large SUV pulled up. Out came a group of rider players to help, or so I though. They said they’d help if I gave them each $100.00. I didn’t have that much. I told them I was surprised by their actions; as rider fans always speak so highly of their players. They said, they only do things if they are paid.
      I couldn’t believe it!

See I can create anecdotes too.

24. Good message “Backside shoulder”!

25. The other day I paid for the persons coffee behind me in the Tim’s drivethru. I apologize.

26. And this brings an end, another edition of, the wild and wacky world according to manyhandles.

27. Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm //

OMG people!!!
    random acts like buying peoples coffee in Tim Horton’s line. Is not the same thing.
    If Bridge, randomly bought this family dinner anonymously fine. But this act only occurred after this family approached Bridge.
    That’s not a random act of kindness

28. Colour me green // July 14, 2018 at 9:01 pm //

It’s these types of stories that continue to make the Riders even more loved in this province. Riders rule, we are community owned and act like such. If the other teams could experience the league would be that much stronger.

• I admire that aspect of the Riders Nation. IMO most, if not all of the Alouettes problems stem, originally, from the Wetenhall’s incompetence as owners. At the end of a losing season, 2 or 3 years ago, ownership was insisting that Popp as GM and HC, and Calvillo as OC was the way forward for our team. In polls on the Gazette and RDS, 70%-80% of fans were firmly against the idea. Ownership’s answer: who cares. The team belongs to US.

“Owners” of any franchise are merely renters. It is the CITY and the fans who ultimately have the final say. I’m not sure what “community ownership” might look like in Montreal. But it would definitely be more responsive to the opinions to the REAL owners of any team: the fans.

29. Stampeding // July 14, 2018 at 9:20 pm //

4-0
    deal with it
    That’s what this is all about anyways

30. Glenn Suitor once told TSN; If you were out for dinner anytime after your last game and you had lost, or if you weren’t playing well, you would get harassed. People would come up to him and say things like; “What are you doing here? you should be working out, watching film, or practicing drills”
    I guess fans have softened, that’s a good thing.

31. We need to all learn to love. I don’t understand why we can’t

• Puck Hog // July 14, 2018 at 11:48 pm //

Shut up!

• Puck Hog // July 15, 2018 at 12:12 am //

Red, there’s an article on this site about a serious problem in the league – head shots – and the intentional shot Gable took from Wynn. There was not one asinine comment from you, and it was a distinct pleasure to read the good comments and opinions stated from others. And there is not one person who visits this site that does not know that if that story involved a Roughrider, that you would be spreading your hate-filled nonsense and totally destroying the content of that article. You are full of hate, and you, in return, are hated. Then you have the unabashed gall to ask for love. Well, Red, go love yourself, if you know what I mean…….

• “We need to all learn to love. I don’t understand why we can’t”

Sometimes the process of loving is impeded by people who twist things around, taking a simple act of charity and attributing sinister motives, derived from a distorted and sickened soul. Kind of hard to “love” under such conditions.

32. GreenInCalgary // July 14, 2018 at 11:17 pm //

Stampeding, you didn’t create an anecdote, you told a lie.

33. Former Rider fan // July 15, 2018 at 1:31 am //

So RFD, are you happy with the job Stephen McAdoo is doing?

34. Good story, Joel. I actually heard about this a few nights ago but never thought it would make 3downnation. Bridge certainly appears to be a great human being. I only wish Jones would show some confidence in Bridge. But Chris Jones certainly goes with the unorthodox approach when it comes to Duron Carter playing on defense, rotating quarterbacks constantly, use of the defensive line, constantly staying with a vastly inferior offensive line, the running back position, etc. I hope coach wakes up soon.

35. If I go this morning and pick up the tab for 30 people at Sunday brunch, will you all shower your accolades on me????

• I wouldn’t trust a good-doing from you. Kind of like the boy that cried wolf.

• Stampeding // July 15, 2018 at 11:56 am //

EXACTLY!
        Yes I know you or rider nation would never give merit to a good deed I would do!
        You are proving that the individual doing the deed is what will determine the merit for riders fans.
        Bridge is still in rider fans good books, therefore what he did was AMAZING!

• What about Burris:
          pre 2005 FA period?
          Post 2005 FA period?

Paul McCullum:
          Saturday November 13 2004?
          Monday November 15 204?

• Puck Hog // July 15, 2018 at 12:36 pm //

Jerry, you can’t be that far gone that you honestly think you would receive accolades from any person on this site. Give it a rest on here and pick another site to sabotage.

• Stampeding // July 15, 2018 at 12:51 pm //

If I came on here and praised the riders instead of giving an honest (and fair) opinion, I would be showered with accolades for the smallest of good deeds.
            Either way you still know nothing about me.
            Vert shallow

• Red. I challenge you to be as critical of all other teams as you do of Saskatchewan.

• This just eats you up to see a positive story. Guess it takes away from all the thuggery in the cramps organization.

• Lots of stories in the news of people doing such things.